• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Handlebars won't be tightened

jess3

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi.
I just bought a K6 yesterday and I have a problem with the handlebars which are some aftermarket clubman bars.
The problem is that I can't seem to tighten them enough to fix them.
The bars don't have those grooves in the middle and it seems that I need to tighten way too much just to make them stay in place, but they're never fixed.
I'm terrified of over tightening them, ruining the threads in the tripletree.
Of course I could troubleshoot by going out and buy a new set of handlebars that have the grooves, but I just thought I'd ask.
Maybe it's a known issue that the clamps get worn so the handlebars won't stay.
Also when I tighten them to the extend I dare, when I come back after a while, the bolts seem loose.
I tried putting in the bolts without the clamp and the threads seem solid.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
/Jess

I've never heard of anyone having that problem. Do you have a caliper to measure the bars? You could measure them to make sure they're at least 7/8" and not ovaled out where they clamp. Also measure the clamp without bars. Maybe someone drilled them?

When the clamps are tight on the bars... is there a gap on at least one side where the clamp comes together?

Are you saying I should try bottoming the lower or higher bolts first before tightening the others? I'll check with the feeler gauges but they actually all seem bottomed out

Just shave about .020" off the caps if there bottoming out with a belt or wheel sander or file, Add a drop of loc- tite heavy duty treadlocker on the bars or caps after cleaning all mating surfaces with alcohol. Torque them down and let set overnight. The four bolts should have lock washers.

Yes there should be a little dot near one hole on the clamp cap. I think it faces the front and gets tightened all the way. Then the other one is tightened, but there should be a gap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of that.

Back