• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Handlebars cocked slightly to the left

Tumminelli

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Trying to work through all .the issues on my newly acquired 1980 cb750c. I noticed that when the front wheel is straight the handlebars are cocked slightly to the left. Is there a way to adjust this or it it more serious like bent forks?
Thanks for listening. Paul

Could be: bent forks, bent handlebar, or most likely the tubes are not lined up correctly in the triple clamps. Support the front of the bike with a jack, hold the front wheel from twisting, loosen the clamps and correct. Much easier with two people. Observe correct torque specs when re-tightening. If bent forks or bars, they require replacement.

This maybe easier if bike has a centerstand. Put it on it and stand over the front wheel with it clamped between your legs tight and grab ends of handlebars and see if you can twist them back straight while wheel locked between your legs. If so then once straight you need to tighten the fork tube clamps tighter.

I used to straighten dirt bike front ends all the time doing that.

I'm assuming I loosen the 4 bolts (2 upper 2 lower) and twist. I the forks are bent do I have to replace with 1980c forks or will other years work? Thanks

'I'm assuming I loosen the 4 bolts (2 upper 2 lower) and twist.'

If you have to. You want to know if it was already loose enough to shift. If you totally loosen the clamp points you will have the bike collapse around the forks, the weight being too great.

One fork bent you will have to match exact year/model, two and there MAY be other choices. Likely shorter though, the OEM one there is pretty long. And leading axle to boot, most aren't. Fork tubes not all the same size either. Honda is a confusing mess when it comes to forks.

Thanks again for your input. You really know your stuff. I'm a little under the weather right now but as soon as I can get back in the garage I'm going to work on it. I was even thinking of bolting a long pipe in the handlebar mounts to get more leverage since I have the bars off now. Thanks again Paul.

Back