• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Getting some speed out of a 81 cb750c

thughes0025

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this style bike had a 05 R6 for many years now I know the 81 cb750c isn't even close the same but I would think 60mph an tacking 5,000 rpm is a bit hard on her...ol'girl runs like a top just seams she's reving extra high on highway...umm was thinking sprocket change would help just not sure witch way to go...didn't know if anyone had done this before or had an idea where to go..any tips would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20230414_080358.jpg
    20230414_080358.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 57
I'm new to this style bike had a 05 R6 for many years now I know the 81 cb750c isn't even close the same but I would think 60mph an tacking 5,000 rpm is a bit hard on her...ol'girl runs like a top just seams she's reving extra high on highway...umm was thinking sprocket change would help just not sure witch way to go...didn't know if anyone had done this before or had an idea where to go..any tips would be appreciated
I had that same feeling when I came back to the '79 Honda after 30 years on various Harleys. Then I got to thinking and 5000 rpm on an engine that has a 9500 rpm redline isn't really pushing it all that hard. I remember topping 80 or 90 a lot of times on my Hondas that I rode before I got into the Harleys. My old girl will cruise at 75 all day long with no problems.

An yeah I will agree it will do it fine...just seams 30 miles running 65 at 5,000 rpm isn't great for a 40yr old bike...wanted to change sprockets

I jumped the front sprocket up a tooth on an old '74 Sportster I used to ride. It does indeed lower the rpm at speed. It was fine on the Sporty with the tractor motor that had gobs of low-end torque. On the Honda, at my size I wouldn't do it. I need the low-end torque to get started more than the high-end speed.
BTW, I took mine for a ride yesterday and at 5000rpm my speedo says I'm cruising 65ish. Bike seems very comfortable at that speed and accelerates smoothly when I roll into the throttle to pass someone. I tend to keep my speed below 70 nowadays, so I'm not messing with it.

Yes from experience on the highway you will be good. But always a “but” around town riding will not be fun out of the rpm range for good torque. I went back to a 15 tooth front sprocket.

Back