• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front Fork Interchange

Wez_

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Would air assisted, 81 CB 900 C front forks be a direct drop in replacement for my 82 Nighthawk SC triple tree? I am pretty sure these are both 37mm forks. The axle mounts behind the tube, forgot what it's called. My inner tubes need replacing and I'm shopping on ebay.

Likely yes. at the top. Hard to say at the bottom. The calipers changed from single piston to dual at some point and not sure if the bracket holes in lower fork are spaced the same. And no C fork had TRAC either which will likely be an issue on the left side as Nighthawk fork had it on one side. Making the caliper bracket and possibly the caliper totally different. A TRAC caliper has to be able to swing on one end instead of being bolted down solid. You may be able to use the caliper by use of a bushing for the swing hole and look at spacing to match the other side with washers. I did one swapping Nighthawk fork to an F bike.

You mean leading axle fork, the axle is in front of the fork tube. Some C had them and some didn't.

Honda played with the forks 50 times in those years, there can be all kinds of differences.

Wow, that's a bummer. So it's possible to slide out the inners and reuse my outer tubes I take it. I watched a ghetto youtube video on replacing seals and found myself banging on my chrome tubes with a pair of pliers....omg what was wrong with me. Anyways, my chrome surfaces have pitting. and the worst side wont seal. I trying to find the best way to replace the chrome inners with nice surface material. I'm relying on ebay images and descriptions to find the best used set. Do I have new replacement options for just the inner tubes?

There used to be a place that did almost the whole nation, or Forks by Frank, but he died I'm thinking, and family reluctant to take up the work. Fork parts are almost unobtanium now unless you follow the chopper guys. Dirtdigger here onsite may know.

The lower may swap but you need to look at the commonality there, mainly hole spacing for damping to make sure the timings look right. The TRAC issue again will have to be solved as tubes are different L & R on Nighthawk and so are the lowers, the TRAC one has a wide open hole for damping as the TRAC unit does it.

The lower may swap but you need to look at the commonality there, mainly hole spacing for damping to make sure the timings look right. The TRAC issue again will have to be solved as tubes are different L & R on Nighthawk and so are the lowers, the TRAC one has a wide open hole for damping as the TRAC unit does it.

Sorry amc, you lost me here. What is the TRAC and what hole spacing are you referring to? Wont the upper tubes just slide into the lowers as long as they are the same length and diameter? I want to reuse my old lower pieces and find replacement inner fork upper tubes. What does TRAC stand for?

Back