• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front brake

Stevecb750k7

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi any ideas front brake slows me down but not stops hard tried new pads new fluid new rubber in cylinder there are no leaks but still same thanks if you can help.

Is the rotor glazed over? Perhaps it could be reconditioned or replaced. Does the rotor have oil or bug and tar remover on it? That stuff will ruin pads and you need to clean the rotor really well before installing new pads.

Have you checked the brake hose ? If its the stock one the rubber stretches over time. When you the brake the hose expands causing the fade. The master cylinder could also have a leak internally. Replacing the o-ring might not be enough.

Have you checked the brake hose ? If its the stock one the rubber stretches over time. When you the brake the hose expands causing the fade. The master cylinder could also have a leak internally. Replacing the o-ring might not be enough.
I think your right going to look for braided thanks

The front brake is not terribly strong on these. The caliper in front of the fork on the sohc bikes really is not a great setup for stopping power, in fact on my drag bikes I flip the fork tubes side to side so the caliper is on the rear of the forks and you probably get double the braking power. If you are comparing to a more modern bike you will be disappointed. A soft hose wont cause overall weak brake performance....soft, mushy, fading yes but not low stopping power. An internal leak is more likely to cause a lever that slowly goes to the bar. My guess would be 1 it is normal and you may just be more used to a better brake system, 2 the rotor is glazed, they are a stainless steel and they dont have as good of friction from the start as a standard rotor, 3 I have seen people put the wrong master cylinders on the 750....if the master cylinder to caliper size is not correct you will very greatly affect braking power

The front brake is not terribly strong on these. The caliper in front of the fork on the sohc bikes really is not a great setup for stopping power, in fact on my drag bikes I flip the fork tubes side to side so the caliper is on the rear of the forks and you probably get double the braking power. If you are comparing to a more modern bike you will be disappointed. A soft hose wont cause overall weak brake performance....soft, mushy, fading yes but not low stopping power. An internal leak is more likely to cause a lever that slowly goes to the bar. My guess would be 1 it is normal and you may just be more used to a better brake system, 2 the rotor is glazed, they are a stainless steel and they dont have as good of friction from the start as a standard rotor, 3 I have seen people put the wrong master cylinders on the 750....if the master cylinder to caliper size is not correct you will very greatly affect braking power
Thanks everything on front brake is original I have renewed master cylinder internals and cylinder rubber new fluid and pads brakes are a lot better but very loud squealing now but at least I’m stopping

Back