• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fork Oil change spacer shorten

Biebs

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hello fellow bikers,

1992 cb750 nighthawk bought used with fairing installed plus handle bar extensions for a touring bike setup. No go for me!!

Removed the fairing and handle bar extensions. I installed handle bar riser's for a more upright riding experience.

Front forks were very stiff. No sag on me getting on bike. no road feel.

So I drained oil 350cc and removed 1 inch from a 6 inch spacer no sure what springs are installed. flushed the forks with ATF and drained again.

Then refilled with 375 cc of ATF. installed a tie on fork tube to get an idea of travel. Took it for a ride.

very compliant front fork now I can feel the tar snakes on the street - maybe a little to soft.
Fork travel is about 1 inch from the lower triple tree mount- SAG is 1 inch when I'm on the bike.
So suspension travel is good.

Question the amount of fork oil for these bikes?? Some say 4 inches from the top with forks compressed. Some quote a volume of approximately 12oz (350cc).

Anyone want to chime in on about of fork oil for the 1991 to 2003 750 nighthawks.

Thanks in advance

Rode bike again today - forks are very compliant and ride is plush will keep current setup. Waiting on a set of YSS rear shocks to replace stock rusty 30 year old shocks. very stiff in the back looking to get a plusher ride in the rear.

tempImageQVInio.jpg

Got my new YSS shocks from Italy - Ebay purchase. Rode to Bartlett Lake this morning 5AM with the new shocks and front fork changes.
Motorcycle runs great suspension is very compliant and great road feel. Bike rides a little lower after fork change and shock change.
More aware of side stand placement any hill or angle makes it unstable easy to tip over.
Phoenix temperature today 114 degrees, but at 5:30 am cool spots in the valley's.

tempImageGlSicK.jpg

Attachments

• tempImage1MrpFL.jpg
    tempImage1MrpFL.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Hello fellow bikers,

1992 cb750 nighthawk bought used with fairing installed plus handle bar extensions for a touring bike setup. No go for me!!

Removed the fairing and handle bar extensions. I installed handle bar riser's for a more upright riding experience.

Front forks were very stiff. No sag on me getting on bike. no road feel.

So I drained oil 350cc and removed 1 inch from a 6 inch spacer no sure what springs are installed. flushed the forks with ATF and drained again.

Then refilled with 375 cc of ATF. installed a tie on fork tube to get an idea of travel. Took it for a ride.

very compliant front fork now I can feel the tar snakes on the street - maybe a little to soft.
Fork travel is about 1 inch from the lower triple tree mount- SAG is 1 inch when I'm on the bike.
So suspension travel is good.

Question the amount of fork oil for these bikes?? Some say 4 inches from the top with forks compressed. Some quote a volume of approximately 12oz (350cc).

Anyone want to chime in on about of fork oil for the 1991 to 2003 750 nighthawks.

Thanks in advance
Sorry about the delay.
just read the post.
Regarding the oil level, the service manual says 137mm or 5.4inches.

Back