• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Exhaust collar install 1982 dohc cb750

Trying to post a picture but can’t figure it out. Anyway my exhaust header is in contact with the engine block but the spikes ring thing that gets bolted around the collar to hold the exhaust against the engine has about a centimeter gap between it and the engine bc of the split collars. I put the short end toward the engine and the long end away from the engine. If I flip it around the problem only gets worse.

not sure if this is the setup you have on your machine -- but this is from my '79 S/S and I suspect they are similar ... if not identical

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9PByWNt1TSzHUhm79

this is how the collars should be oriented, and of course placed around the headpipe -- and if you position it as shown it should fit fine; keep in mind there are some small copper washers that should be added, but there are thin enough as to not justify the centimeter gap you mention

hope this helps, bud !

Yes, that is correct. OP says header, they often smack them on a curb or the like to then strike the oil pan. I've done it myself. Or a specific fit 750 header used on a 900, they will hit too. The 900 motor is slightly taller and why it happens. Some headers were made deep enough to fit both situations.

it's those split washers that are your problem. When they are in original condition they can be all mangled up and just make installation a nightmare. Take a wire wheel to them. Also you can soak them in CLR (Calcium, Lime Rust) solvent. Works great. Best option would be have them soda blasted like Luis did. Paint them with high temp paint or leave them as is. The most important thing is that they are not majorly deformed or bent. It makes installation a nightmare. Also, the big ring can be installed both ways. Make sure you have those oriented correctly. Last installation I used the help of my growing son, and ratchet straps as my split washers are mangled up. I had to modify one of them. If you can start the nuts on both sides, the header can be seated with the nuts safely.

Back