• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Everyone say hi to the new guy. What oil do i use??

SpencerD

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Don't yell and scream that theres already a thread, i looked and searched every key word and tag imaginable relating to oil change maintenance. If theres already a thread great, if not, i'm new and just got a 1981 cb750, im 20 years old i dont know very much YET besides the very basic of a running engine. I would just like to know what you CB experts out there recommend for oil in these things. ive got a few things to do before the oil change but i wanna start buying everything ill need. The carbs need to be synced and probly cleaned thoroughly before synced but ill get to that in a later post if i cant find something. SO, what oil do you people use on these engines? what filter? same oil regardless of stock parts or modded, jetted "souped up" engine?

10w-40 and if it gets hot then 20w-50 is common. Might wanna use a motorcycle specific oil that carries more zinc in it but more expensive as you have to pay to avoid EPA regulations. Be advised that common car oils can have friction modifiers in them that replaced the zinc that are slick enough to start flawing the starter clutch, it then stopping locking up correctly to spin the starter. That clutch is a common issue on these anyway even with correct oil. Filter? OEM Honda, a lot of the replacements do not have the hole area inside the Honda one does and then they don't filter as well. Synthetic oil is great since air cooled engine here, the syn by much does not break down in heat like conventional oil does.

Back