• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

- Eliminating Keyed Ignition Switch -

Luis Etchenique

'79 CB750F Super Sport
Reaction score
Hello all -- I am considering eliminating the keyed ignition switch on my race-replica bike, and substituting with an " on/off " toggle switch. Has anyone done this before ? I would welcome any comments, suggestions, or opinions.

Thank you as always !

tempImage4JGoPN.png

I've done it on other bikes, but not your specific model. If it is wired as most Hondas you have 4 wires @ Key Switch: Black, Red & Brown, Brown/White. So, you need a 40amp DPST toggle switch: Double Pole, Single Throw. It will have connectors (4) at each corner and you want black connected to red and brown connected to brown/white in the ON position, with no connections in the OFF position. You will not have the "Park" function with a DPST, but could with a DPDT.

I've done it on other bikes, but not your specific model. If it is wired as most Hondas you have 4 wires @ Key Switch: Black, Red & Brown, Brown/White. So, you need a 40amp DPST toggle switch: Double Pole, Single Throw. It will have connectors (4) at each corner and you want black connected to red and brown connected to brown/white in the ON position, with no connections in the OFF position. You will not have the "Park" function with a DPST, but could with a DPDT.
thank you for the help, JP !

Back