• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

DOHC pod filters success

curtkline

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So due to me running across a dual cam bike with no stock airbox and pod filters being my only immediate option I was forced to make them work. Contrary to popular belief not only do they work but they work very well if you take a little time and put a little logic into your thinking.

Following, I'm having trouble making my pods work. My carbs are jetted and the pods are pretty restrictive but it's still not running correctly

So due to me running across a dual cam bike with no stock airbox and pod filters being my only immediate option I was forced to make them work. Contrary to popular belief not only do they work but they work very well if you take a little time and put a little logic into your thinking.
Post video of the bike running at all RPM's under load with pics of your spark plugs, or dyno results.

Did you drill your slides? Which pod filters? Any electrical tape used? What jets?

Plenty of people have posted this spiel before and conveniently never post the evidence to back it up.

Post video of the bike running at all RPM's under load with pics of your spark plugs, or dyno results.

Did you drill your slides? Which pod filters? Any electrical tape used? What jets?

Plenty of people have posted this spiel before and conveniently never post the evidence to back it up.
He posted this year ago, even though people showed interest to hear his results and the way he got there no post year later. Let this thread die since obviously no info is available and he has not been here sunce June last year!

Sorry I was away for a while. Unfortunately I ended up going a different direction with pipes porting and a few other little specialty's so now I'm on the hunt for some flat slide carbs for a deal but I will tell the secret to success on my particular bike. I started off as usual by throwing filters on and getting frustrated like everyone else but I guess I was a little too determined to give up that easy. Long story short through a lot of trial and error I ended up on a 80 primary jet a 118 secondary with a 40 pilot and fuel screws out about 3 turns. Zero gap on the accelerator pump helped clear up a low end stutter I had as well. But the real key was adding .008" shims under the needle, no more no less and that cleared up any little burble or hesitation my bike had. That's all running uni foam filter with no tape or restriction of any kind. No matter what with pods you'll lose a little low end grunt but not much in my opinion. All said and done it would pull steady like a train from 2k rpm all the way to 10k with no flat spots of any kind. I have since expiremented with the factory air box and can attest that the pod filters would keep up neck and neck with the only noticable difference being that little bit of low end torque just off idle. Another point to add is that my engine was freshly rebuilt at the time having good compression and good valves set to proper clearance. Without a good engine it is pointless to attempt pods but people do anyway and blame the carbs. Maybe I was lucky and got a set of carbs that liked pods but either way that's how they worked out for me

Well that explains that. Direct-pull carbs work just fine with any air filter as long as they're jetted right.
My bike had the same "junk" keihin cv carbs that everyone else complains about. Now I've moved onto a rack of gsxr600 carbs due to cams and porting but I can assure you if you spend a little time and have a touch of black magic the stock carbs will work just fine with pods

Back