• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Desperate for Help!! — 1978 CB750F keeps dying

Yes that's a different ignition..same principles exis.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_162008.jpg
    IMG_20210530_162008.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210717_194349.jpg
    IMG_20210717_194349.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I realize now that he has a different ignition...still times to the f mark...and t is top dead center ...that does not change...timing principles are the same.

Wrenched and rode for both Honda and Yamaha for years..just put this together this Winter.. if your assembly is correct, timing is just a matter of tuning, I said good luck and investing in a quality timing light probably wouldn't hurt.
IMG_20210625_185311.jpg
IMG_20210718_185235.jpg
IMG_20210726_162914.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_194407.jpg
    IMG_20210717_194407.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 82
Here's a solution, just put a dohc engine in it and call me later.. JK JK... You guys have a good day and I hope everything works out for you going to be 100° today in Oklahoma trying to get my stuff done early!

You have 1-4 timing marks and 2-3 timing marks, both dyna pickups are adjustable independently as are both points on stock bikes. Dont know where the confusion is. Yes a good timing light takes some variables out of the equation.

Dont know where the confusion is.
I think we’ve gotten a little off topic. I was never questioning how to time the bike. I was simply stating that when the bike started to stutter and die, the timing light became erratic on cylinders 1 and 4. Don’t know if it means anything. I will rebuild the carbs and report back.

I agree and I also stated dirt digger that this was for a double overhead cam we're all fully aware of how to time a dyna ignition,..maybe you would like to explain now how to set the gap on old style points...lol, thanks

I surely can explain if you are not sure how. I have been working on sohc hondas specifically for over 30 years so if you need some expertise on them I can help out. And I am sure not everyone here knows how to time dyna otherwise people wouldnt come here for advise. This thread has been about the sohc from the start, no need to add dohc information if it is irrelevant to the topic of sohc. If you want you are more than likely to start your own dohc threads to share your info and photos.

I surely can explain if you are not sure how. I have been working on sohc hondas specifically for over 30 years so if you need some expertise on them I can help out. And I am sure not everyone here knows how to time dyna otherwise people wouldnt come here for advise. This thread has been about the sohc from the start, no need to add dohc information if it is irrelevant to the topic of sohc. If you want you are more than likely to start your own dohc threads to share your info and photos.

That's great so have I... You need to remember this isn't a competition and everything I said I said jokingly and sarcastically and once again I said this is for a dohc... But the principles I also said remain the same.. as far as sft and top dead center... Take it easy buddy.. those are basic engine principles..I don't care if you working on a Chevy or Ford single overhead cam double overhead cam.. top dead center and number one piston.. I'm going to say goodbye to you right now and have a good day don't take it so seriously

Back