• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Crankcase damage? Opinions please

bfike

CB750 Member
Reaction score
First time splitting a crankcase. What caused this damage where the bearing sits? Is it repairable or will it be ok to move forward.
4788A8C3-AEFB-4E23-BC05-78495308BC08.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A08D9BA-CAAB-4191-9DB3-81FFEACF5897.jpeg
    0A08D9BA-CAAB-4191-9DB3-81FFEACF5897.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 88
That's a roller bearing, right? Does it turn freely when you rotate it by hand? How much can you get it to click or wobble when you try to twist the outside of it?

Looks to me like the outer race of that bearing was spinning in place there when it's not supposed to. Usually that's caused by excessive friction or binding -- the rolling elements freezing up, causing the inner and outer races to "stick" and rotate together.

Everything was turning smoothly on disassembly no wobble or clicking. Bearings are smooth. Thank you for the reply

I wonder if that was a manufacturing flaw, then -- something like that shell being bored slightly oversize, allowing the outer race of that bearing to rotate when it shouldn't.
I should say that I'm making an educated guess here. I haven't taken apart one of these exact transmissions before or seen this exact kind of bearing wear, at least not in a transmission context. I have taken apart other transmissions, and typically the outer races of bearings are meant to stay put while the inner race and the shaft it is mounted to rotate.
What's strange to me is how there seems to be an oil passage and groove around the outside of the bearing. Is that for oil flow around the bearing or into the bearing? I'm not sure.
Which model is this? I think I might get a clue from the Lubrication chapter of the factory service manual, if the one I've read (for 79-82 DOHC bikes) applies here.

What does the outside of the bearing look like? send a pic

Back