• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch replacement

virgild

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you have to remove the center nut in order to replace the friction plates on a 95 Nighthawk CB750?

Service manual and page 8-5.

https://moto-odejda.ru/file/HondaNithawk.pdf

Note the first words to UNSTAKE the nut FIRST. Look for a punchmark staking the nut down, if you remove the nut the stake deformity commonly shreds your threads to make shaft unuseable. I take a small grinding tool or drill bit in drill to remove the stake to weaken the crush against lower threads when the nut comes off. The work depends on the impression left there, maybe lucky and they didn't do it or nut loctited instead.

You'll see the specialty tool Honda uses to answer your question. I've seen where people grind on a socket to relieve the sides to make that 4 notch socket out of thin air.

This is very helpful. Many thanks.

Edit:
I just removed the cover and lifter plate. The nut is peened to the shaft. I knocked the peen out a bit but the deformity is still there. Great suggestion to drill it a bit. Will try that.

Or dremel with a small say carbide tip or like a chainsaw chain sharpening rock, going to make a mess and the particles need to be kept contained. They will eat the motor.

The idea is to eat up the part of the peen or punch impression that compresses the metal to allow the nut to come off much easier without taking the threads on shaft with it.

Even if you get into the shaft a bit the nut comes off easy enough what is left will still hold the forces involved. Looks a little ugly and you get to restake it in another place to be even worse at reassembly. What you gotta do to keep things together. I usually use a semi-sharp punch with a rounded tip but small so a smaller drill bit used next time if there is one. Or use loctite but it needs to be bone dry to cure right.

Drilled the nut punch and removed the clutch successfully. I see in the manual that not all the steel and friction plates are alike. There is a friction plate with a large inside diameter. I understand that one and my kit has it. But there is also one steel plate that is gray and a friction plate that is black. Anyone know the reason Honda did that?

You gotta read..................service manual page 8-4 and 8-6. All clearly called out and the reason why is built into where they go, and for quick ID of parts without measuring them or looking close. If you do not get that assembly stack order back right the clutch will not work including the order of the thin steel rings up front. One is a plate unsticker/separator spring and the other is the seat for it. Get that wrong and the clutch then will not come unstuck sitting overnight.

Last edited:
Back