• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750KZ Alternator Rotor stripped threads

tenko750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to remove the rotor from the generator end of the crankshaft and unfortunately the rotor extractor has stripped the threads from the rotor. Obviously this meant that the rotor was stuck on fast. It was only fitted and torqued correctly about 2 years ago, so it is not a corrosion or time issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed ? I could just leave it on for now and ride as it was charging OK. I only tried to remove it to test run a newer spare rotor that I had just bought.

I am thinking about a 6 inch three legged gear puller with some sort of brass washer on the thrust bolt, to protect the end of the crankshaft. I realise that this will probably destroy the rotor but it will have to come off sometime in the future ?

If and when it does come off, does anybody have any future suggestions, like applying copper grease to the tapers before fitting ?

All help gratefully received !

Did you strip the rotor threads or the inner threads that are on the crankshaft?

Did you strip the rotor threads or the inner threads that are on the crankshaft?
Hi and thanks for the reply. Definitely the threads on the rotor. Ironically this rotor is charging fine at the moment. I only tried to remove it to test another rotor that had just been bought as a spare. Have decided to just leave it fitted until it starts playing up. Then of course it would HAVE to be removed and would probably be destroyed in the process. Will need to put something on the end of the crankshaft to protect it from the 3 leg puller centre screw ?

Hi and thanks for the reply. Definitely the threads on the rotor. Ironically this rotor is charging fine at the moment. I only tried to remove it to test another rotor that had just been bought as a spare. Have decided to just leave it fitted until it starts playing up. Then of course it would HAVE to be removed and would probably be destroyed in the process. Will need to put something on the end of the crankshaft to protect it from the 3 leg puller centre screw ?
I would. If you're planning on keeping the bike for a while, it might be worth it to grind the end flat.

Have you experience of using a 3 leg puller to remove a rotor ? I assume that you mean to grind the end of the puller centre screw flat ?

I do. But not with this bike. You'll surely damage the rotor using it but if it is broken, who cares? And yes, grind the point down on the puller's rod. You can also use an M18-1.5 bolt as a puller

Back