• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750 Police

I think I’m going to be looking for some tips for cleaning my motor up, that is very impressive.
Thanks John. I dismantled the engine completely, then sandblasted the parts before respraying (not the sidepanels). The sidepanels I sanded and polished....... loooong process :)

Thanks John. I dismantled the engine completely, then sandblasted the parts before respraying (not the sidepanels). The sidepanels I sanded and polished....... loooong process :)
What paint did you use on the cases?

This one..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 50
Hey John,
yes mate, mine had that surface rust too when I bought it. That's why I decided to strip it down and restore from the ground up.
I see you still have the original 4 in 4's exhaust. That's good. On mine, they were changed to the 4 in 2's from the cbx model.
The carbies are aftermarket, correct?
And you put a seat in place of the brief box carrier. I bought a cb750 kz seat (2 seater) and it uses the same hinge and lock as the single seater.
Sprockets...
I have managed to find a CB750P brochure from the 80's (a guy in Mansfield on gumtree, used to run the Honda dealership) and the specs page says that sprockets should be 17 front 43 back. Even the cmsnl web site says the same. However, when looking at aftermarket options I didn't find these. 18 and 45 are more common. I just got a set from rpm moto in queensland.
Parts...
I've tried to get Honda original parts as much as possible. It's been difficult for some parts (as it will be on any 40 year old bike) but I got most of my parts from CMS in the Netherlands
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750p-1979-z-general-export_model50280/partslist/#.ZFyqBRFBxD9Their web site is really user friendly. Some parts I've had to look for second hand on ebay. The part numbers from the CMS website were very handy.
You have StGeorge as your location. Is that in NSW? If you are in Oz, can I suggest that if you have a lot of parts to order from abroad, don't let one order amount to more than $800 as you'll have to pay import tax on your parts too. Ask me how I know :rolleyes: !

One thing I can't find anywhere is the black rubber spacers under the front indicators on the front shield. Reason being, apparently these were not Honda items. I was told that these bikes came here without those fairings but were then installed here by an Australian supplier. Mine are all cracked and need to be replaced. Do you have any leads please?
If you find anything more about lights on the fairing let me know, one of the reflectors that hides the mounting bolt has disintegrated. I might see if someone can 3D print them?

Hugh,
What do you do with the hardware, re-anodise it, chrome or replace? I can clean it up, but not sure how to keep the rust off.
John
Do you mean all the bolts?
I guess it depends on what you want. If it was a custom CB or a cafe racer I'd probably get a stainless bolt kit that I've seen on ebay. But I wanted to keep mine as original as possible so tried to use the original ones. I ran them on a wire brush wheel to remove rust and nickel plated them. If they were too bad, I got them from CMS.
Hugh

Do you mean all the bolts?
I guess it depends on what you want. If it was a custom CB or a cafe racer I'd probably get a stainless bolt kit that I've seen on ebay. But I wanted to keep mine as original as possible so tried to use the original ones. I ran them on a wire brush wheel to remove rust and nickel plated them. If they were too bad, I got them from CMS.
Hugh
Thanks Hugh, and sorry for all the questions. Do you nickel plate yourself, I’m thinking I might have to get a kit as I don’t have access to anyone locally? I have found a company called Jane Plating Kits who appear to have the gear.

Thanks for the color code. Is that a shiny clear or is it a matte or satin finish. The stock cases don't appear shiny to me.
It's not shiny but I wouldn't call it matte either. Not to sound repetitive, but it really does look like aluminum in my opinion. All my other parts are shiny, you can see the contrast pretty good in these pics, but not the cases or jugs. The color was recommended to me from another group and is as close to stock as I could find. I like the way it turned out and I'm glad I used the clear too. Just a little but of extra protection ya know?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 50
It's not shiny but I wouldn't call it matte either. Not to sound repetitive, but it really does look like aluminum in my opinion. All my other parts are shiny, you can see the contrast pretty good in these pics, but not the cases or jugs. The color was recommended to me from another group and is as close to stock as I could find. I like the way it turned out and I'm glad I used the clear too. Just a little but of extra protection ya know?
That engine looks great bud! Great job!

Looks good. My '79 is in similar shape and I plan on it staying that way. That was my reason for all the questions.

I’m wondering if the Aus supplier for the fairing, did the bags as well, as they are different to any of the online photos, maybe they specified a larger capacity, for whatever they put in them, and it would be interesting to know what that was?
Hi John, the fairings were made by SHOEI. I think the panniers were too, but not sure. Very hard to find good examples.

Hi John, the fairings were made by SHOEI. I think the panniers were too, but not sure. Very hard to find good examples.
Thanks, amazed you would know that. I will need an orange reflector for mine, but maybe I could get it 3D printed, but haven’t had much to do with it?

Back