• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

carburetor rebuild

Bobcarr

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have a 1980 cb750 that sat for a year. it was leaking gas so i took to a local mc shop. they rebuilt carburetor, charged me $800 and now say that there is a brass rod that they cannot find. (or dont wsnt to be bothered) i know there were carburetor gurus on this site before. any advice?? 1. how to deal with $800 non repair. 2. How to get carburetor fixed.
I bought these carburetors from someone on this site several years ago snd they worked like a dream . Help!

Are you talking about the tube that connects the carburetors for fuel delivery $800 for a carburetor rebuild... wow

The guy at shop said it was a part that they could not find. Not sure whats going on. is yhere any one on forum that will rebuild these carbs. A member named Sean G did these fir me and they were great. Need to get it fixed or get rid of it per my wife. Its a cool old bike.

Attachments

• 9C958C8E-864C-4341-9AEB-DDD1FB94DC76.jpeg
    9C958C8E-864C-4341-9AEB-DDD1FB94DC76.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 7F5C2F8F-EBB7-4266-9FF1-2DBCE7E84BE5.jpeg
    7F5C2F8F-EBB7-4266-9FF1-2DBCE7E84BE5.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 99
FWIW....A lot of people reuse the "brass bits" like jets, and generally replace the gaskets/orings after a dismantle and good clean........
Many non-OEM kits have substandard parts...e.g. float needles

Hows the bike run now??

not good. starts fine and runs for s bit. needs full choke, After a few minutes begins racing high revs, floods and then stalls. now its leaking gas again from flooded carb.

Any chance to ask the shop what "brass bit" they couldn't find....??
The symptoms of overflow you describe is similar to a stuck/?broken? float needle....

long story short. This was a chop shop that worked predominantly on Harley Davidson. They just closed their doors. I got screwed. none of the local honda shops will look at it…say its too old.

i will try to call the owner of the chop shop to see if i can get more specifics but i doubt it.

very frustrating, my own fault though for taking it there and hoping for best. $800 for carb rebuild and oil change. ridiculous.

long story short. This was a chop shop that worked predominantly on Harley Davidson. They just closed their doors. I got screwed. none of the local honda shops will look at it…say its too old.

i will try to call the owner of the chop shop to see if i can get more specifics but i doubt it.

very frustrating, my own fault though for taking it there and hoping for best. $800 for carb rebuild and oil change. ridiculous.
The info on the bit they didnt replace isnt essential.
Sounds like you have a needle float issue...even if it was replaced sounds like its still an issue....

Most shops are $120 per hour here....so for 4 carbs yup $500 -$800 at a shop is possible.....

The only "brass bits"... is what the needle seats into which is not replaceable and if you did replace it you would probably ruin the carburetor and you'd have to do it four times, most of the rebuild kits are junk you need to use genuine Kehein jets.. most problem with these carburetors is the dirt and in the states is what ethanol gas leaves behind. Labor rates normally run $100/hr... but that is bench work so there should be exceptions made,When there is a needle in seat problem you will get excessive flooding, where are you located?

Last edited:
The problem with motorcycle shops today is there not motorcycle shops they are dealerships and in the one in my town carries about 10 different brands, from motorcycles to side by sides, everything today is warranty work they don't know how to repair they know how to replace, and even if they did know how to repair it's just not cost effective these days... they don't stock parts and anything over 20 years old they turn their nose up at and want you to buy a new bike

Last edited:
Interesting and well informed responses. Thank you! I am in Durango, Colorado. I don’t begrudge any pricing thats reasonable in todays market. Thats business. But when you charge $800 it should be fixed.

Anyway, sounds like I need to take carb out and try to repair myself or hope someone that knows these carburetors comes along to assist. As i mentioned early on a former forum member named Sean G refurbished these carbs in 2018 mailed them to me and they worked beautifully. I will weigh digging into the project over winter. If anyone knows a member that would be interested in doing the repair let me know. In mean time sincere thank you to this forum…good people offering sage advice much appreciated!

I have a spare vb43 and a vb42, if you do decide to do it yourself just take pictures pictures pictures and take your time

Here's what they may be talking about as you see it's pressed in... everything else that is brass is basically interchangeable ie Jets needle Etc

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_144545.jpg
    IMG_20221026_144545.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20221026_144630.jpg
    IMG_20221026_144630.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 102
The only "brass bits"... is what the needle seats into which is not replaceable and if you did replace it you would probably ruin the carburetor and you'd have to do it four times, most of the rebuild kits are junk you need to use genuine Kehein jets.. most problem with these carburetors is the dirt and in the states is what ethanol gas leaves behind. Labor rates normally run $100/hr... but that is bench work so there should be exceptions made,When there is a needle in seat problem you will get excessive flooding, where are you located?
Agree with most of what u say.
Jets will be brass...or at least brass like.
Needle seats not really replaceable easily but aftermarket needles are.....often those in non OEM kits dont suit..

Minor points aside đź‘Ťi give u a thumbs up for offering the OP spare carbs/bits/help.

I only said "brass bits" because that's what his shop told him, and I already already stated all that, and I said that they are pressed in.. and I also stated which means...I.E....needles,jets,etc... I have these carburetors on a bench right now which I showed him a picture of.. the term rebuilding carburetors is almost a nomenclature how about we start with clean carburetor, Jets don't go bad they get clogged vacuum doesn't work because they get dirty, they leak because either gaskets are worn or the floats are stuck,.. I have personally fixed overflowing carburetors with a slight tap with a ball peen hammer and believe you me I didn't charge anybody $800 for it

Last edited:
Back