• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carbon build up question

Bluntest

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of rebuilding my first engine and was wondering how you guys remove the carbon build up on/around the valves ( if its even necessary to remove all of it ). I don't want to be too rough as I know these parts are delicate for clearances, especially around the seats. I used scotch brite for a while and it doesnt seem to touch the mountains of build up. Here are some pictures:

image0.jpgimage1.jpgimage3.jpg

I know carbon is going to build up again which is why im wondering how clean I should get it while im here, and how to clean this off if needed.

Thanks

I would try soaking/spraying them with Marvel Mystery Oil (let it soak) to loosen the carbon and then scrub it with a brass wire brush.

If a wire wheel hurts your valves you have bigger issue lol. A wire wheel isnt abrasive its just a mechanical way of scraping the carbon off. I have been doing it this way for over 20 years, its fine.

If a wire wheel hurts your valves you have bigger issue lol. A wire wheel isnt abrasive its just a mechanical way of scraping the carbon off. I have been doing it this way for over 20 years, its fine.

Does it matter the material of the wire wheel at all? If not this should be pretty easy.

Does it matter the material of the wire wheel at all? If not this should be pretty easy.
I would use brass or mild steel. Don't use and abrasive one, or a plaxtic one as most contain abrasives in the plastic. But, even then if you only clean the flat side with it you should be Ok. Clean the stem/seat side on brass or steel. And, you just need to knock the carbon off which should not be very hard.

Back