• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb Screws

nateweisiger02

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, I’m totally new to the carbs on these. I have just left them stock for as long as I have had the bike, just did a deep cleaning and new gaskets. I have done a ton of reading, however I have not found much on the screw with a question mark. Pretty sure the a/f mixture screw is on the bottom, then the idle adjustment is labeled in the pic. But what is this other screw?? I know that on a lot of carbs, air screw is typically on intake side, then fuel screw is on the engine side, but it doesn’t look like these carbs are made like that. I would also like to note, that the “?” screw is turned all the way in… first time touching it. 1978 Cb750k will run but cuts off if I don’t have the throttle pulled a little, has stock air box, and chopped exhaust. I know I’ll have to upgrade jets but just want to know exactly what screws I’m working with here. Let me know if you can give any advice!
49B0E119-F285-4B80-B49D-D9AD2C4BCC9C.jpeg

dirtdigger is correct. If you're going to use a vacuum synchronizer but don't have the adapter, what I did was to buy some 5mm/ .7 thread pitch bolts and drill through end-to-end with a 1/16 drill bit, then add an o-ring (the fuel vent line is perfect for this) and a nylock nut to hold it in place. Then attached the vacuum hoses to those.

And yes, that is the fuel mixture screw.

PS, I just rebuilt a set of PD41a carbs. I think you have the PD42s, which I think are pretty similar. If you're going to break them down there are a wealth of great posts on here and also on http://forums.sohc4.net/ I can link to you but I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you need. Maybe you can learn from my mistakes, lol.

Last edited:
Back