• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb Clean

jlippert

CB750 Member
Reaction score
82 CB750 Custom.......I got the carbs off (that was a task) and have them all broke down and ready to be cleaned. What is the best way to go about this? On other types of carbs I have used brake cleaner and compressed air and some elbow grease. Thoughts?

Keep parts for each carb separate and labor them and use carb cleaner. Good idea to change whatever rubber you can. Good luck.

I got mine off today, I hadn't realized whata PITA it was gonna be to get them off.. I've been taking them a part and cleaning them one at a time. It that okay, or should I remove every thing and clean them all at the same time?

Yours may be different than mine . Mine are all on a rack so I take them all off at once then clean one at a time. The first time I took them all apart and let them soak in simple green for 48 hours.

Yes, all in one rack. I was referring to taking off all the bowls and removing everything at once, or clean one, put it back together then move on to the next

I would do one at a time otherwise parts can get mixed up. Even if they all look the same sometimes they will seat a little differently.

Keep all parts to that one carb in order, some like the CV tops and slides on the CV ones are matched assemblies. The idle mixture screws and throttle butterflies if one goes that far are pretty much matched too once they are well used. Needle/seat too if not changing them.

If you do the rack all together then if the carb cleaner is volatile it WILL ruin rubber parts like the air cut diaphragms, which you really cannot get to hardly at all with the carbs still in a bank. Some do it but insane, break them apart.

But if you pull all 4 apart you have to remove at least some of the choke plate screws which are staked in place to keep them from backing out. If you remove them without removing the staked back end of screw they are often ruined and the holes in choke shafts are too. Why you grind the stake off with like a Dremel with a rock in it. Then the screws come out easy and you loctite them going back in. I generally remove the inboard shaft screws and leave the outboard chokes alone, the shaft just sticks up in the air. Or maybe the other way around, been awhile since I did one. No need to remove all 4 though, only 2.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a good one.

Be very aware that removing the bank from an old engine commonly cracks the inlet rubbers to engine to then leak vacuum and then commonly the carb work blamed.

It can be a real good idea to defeat the air cuts too, they leak as well and cause problems.

Good callout amc49... I just removed the carb bank a couple of days ago myself. After reading this I rechecked the rubbers at the air box and sure enough.. cracked.

Back