• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cannot retard ignition timing any further

baldjeff

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting the ignition timing correct on my '81 CB750C. It's firing way too early but I cannot retard it any further since I've turned the plate all the way already. What other adjustments can I make to resolve this? Thanks.

Video of it running: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MG0lx3DzY2K00TaSGgjuLVtyMUvs3ItL/view?usp=sharing

IMG_2032.jpg

Do you have your ignition coils swapped? That would explain firing way out of phase like that.
nope i had already checked that. I ended up take a grinder and notching out the ends where the screw goes so that i can turn the plate further. I know that not the proper way about solving the problem, but hey the bike is perfectly in time and running better then factory!

Are you sure that the timing rotor wasn't installed backwards or something else silly like that? Or that the timing pickup on the end of the crankshaft didn't get moved from its stock position at some point? Because the only ignition timing controls are right there under that cover. That trick with the grinder may have worked, but you should've solved the problem to avoid having to do something that permanent.

Back