• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Brake lever not springing back

Indyjoel

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi
Onto the next part of the rebuild. I am looking at brakes

The front brake lever and assuming at this point the lines are full of air and no fluid.
I removed the front brake unit as the lever does not return or spring back

Rather than buying another unit I would like to see if I can fix it

I have removed the lever and attached a photo.

There is a rubber part that doesn't look right to me but the manuals don't show it right (at least to me)
image.jpg

Thanks

There should be a spring in there that should make it bounce back regardless of fluid. Probably gunked up, a good cleaning and a rebuild kit should take care of it. The rebuild kits come with new springs.
cb750K5BrakeMasterCylinder_zps979b8e1d.gif

And if you're going to rebuild the master, you should do the caliper too. I'd replace the brake line as well. :twocents:

And if you're going to rebuild the master, you should do the caliper too. I'd replace the brake line as well. :twocents:

Latest update
I pulled the old one apart and it was too far gone. I bought another MC

I put it all together and tried to reverse bleed the calliper. I couldn't even get any in the bleed valve.

I suspect the calliper needs a rebuild or worse a new one.

I tried to pull the calliper off the fork leg and there is a massive Allen head bolt stuck hard

I have sprayed it with fluid and will wait for the next day, fingers crossed

Latest update
I pulled the old one apart and it was too far gone. I bought another MC

I put it all together and tried to reverse bleed the calliper. I couldn't even get any in the bleed valve.

I suspect the calliper needs a rebuild or worse a new one.

I tried to pull the calliper off the fork leg and there is a massive Allen head bolt stuck hard

I have sprayed it with fluid and will wait for the next day, fingers crossed

Is it possible to leave the whole calliper connected to the fork and pull it apart whilst still connected to the fork?

Latest update
Have removed both calipers
Had to use PB blaster and a new Allen key with a extended bar to apply force

Will post pictures soon of the cleaned calipers
Oh also ordered new brake pads

Sounds like you're making progress! Any thought of changing the brake lines? What year is the bike?

Sounds like you're making progress! Any thought of changing the brake lines? What year is the bike?

It's a 1977 F2.
I bought it off a wrecker (not sure what the USA call them) about two years ago and it looked like it sat before that for a long time. It started but ran rough. Then it sat in my place for another year (me being lazy and other projects).

Yep, will change all brake lines front and back.

the plan of attack is to get the brakes going on the original lines to ensure there is nothing wrong the setup as the bike has sat idle for a long time.

There is no way the bike will be ridden on those old lines but just to make sure that all is ok. They are only there to sanity check all is ok with the system.

I have ordered new lines and am waiting on them

After the front there is still the back to check and they look worse.

fingers crossed.....

Back