• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

bolts under the cam towers

Draterhuman

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello, brothers

New here. I have a Cb750f 1977. Not too green though. Just got this bike and dammit pretty much right away oil is spraying out the fins. So I am replacing the gaskets but . . . I have a problem. All for bolts under the pucks won’t tighten down. Can’t even get a torque at 5lbs. I sure could use some of your wisdom. WHAT IS HAPPENING!? What is happening is it’s stripped? What is preferred to fix?

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
If the bolts wont tighten then yes the threads are stripped out of the block as they are aluminum. But you could leave these out completely and it still wont spray oil out. There is no pressurized oil close to those small bolts. To fix the threads you will have to pull the head and put in heli coils.

Yeah STRIPPED! Really? I was thinking about that since their is space leading out to the spark plug next to the bolt. But if I don’t rethread won’t this mess with the block gasket? I should like not to take it apart again since I am ready to do the camshaft etc. I’m going with permatex seal #2 instead of Honda bond or permatex ultra grey for the pucks. Don’t want a hardening seal. What do you think?

Thanks!

You need to remove head to fix the threads. What do you mean the pucks blew? I only use Hondabond and never had an issue.

I’m going boltless in cylinder head. Sounds crazy but I think it will be okay. I will let you know. And I luckily have a frame that comes apart so the engine is still in the body. Easy access is I have to go back in. I told my lady friend that last line and she slapped me and wanted me to sell the bike. She let me keep it because it only identifies as a motorcycle. Anyway, the pucks failed just like my marriage did fail. Oil blew out the fins, brother. The pucks were stuck to everything When I took her apart, I mean it apart. And they were hard like ice cubes still in the freezer, had to pry them off, on the left side where I was getting sprayed with oil. Too much Honda bond was used by PO. What do you think people out there? Too much HONDABOND? Is that even possible?

Last edited:
Back