• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bike turns over, but….

2smoooth

2smoooth
Reaction score
So starting to work on my newly purchased CB750 Ltd and I have done the following items.

New Spark Plugs
Changed Oil and Filter
Drained old gas from the tank
Installed new inline gas filter and line
(Checking compression later this afternoon)

With the choke fully out I am able to start the bike and it runs and warms up fine. Eventually the RPMs start getting near 3k and I move the choke perhaps ½ way and the idle slows down, however if I close the choke the RPMs drop and the bike actually stops running.

Carbs Perhaps?

Back your main idle set knob under middle carbs back off until the 3K drops back down to reasonable then finetune it in when engine FULLY HOT. Closing the choke SHOULD kill it once partly warm, the 1/2 way effect is showing that. Nothing unusual there. Close it enough and you'll foul the plugs to wreck them..................

The way you have the throttle cable adjusted can hold carbs too far open too.

Thanks for the advice.. I will give it a try. Of course, that will now come after I remove and clean the carbs as it seems one of the floats is stuck(?) and the bike is draining gas from the overflow tube on Carb 3.

Oh well, I wanted a project bike and I guess I have it.

If you have ethanol induced powder rust in tank that will be common, the OEM filters won't catch the smaller particles.

Back