• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Big Bore Kits

bigrobcranford

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered and used a Big Bore Kit for the SOHC CB750? I'm thinking of doing an 836 and could use some suggestions and ideas. What works, who make the best kit, where to get machine work on the East Coast...

A quick question on that....................what is getting a bit too thin on the sleeve wall thickness to you? Using a stock cylinder block aluminum with no oversized liner in it, just looking for a liner thickness below the deck line, where the piston rocks over at BDC. I look at 1/16" (.060", 1.5 mm.) as a limit there. Your thoughts? Ever get any liner cracking?

.075" is the minimum limit on big bore stuff according to Kenny. I have never seen a cracked honda liner other then when something lets go and hits the sleeve at the bottom.

I like that better, The .060" idea comes from Wiseco overbore kits, they often bore to leave .060" left, it's not much when you look at it. Where my project 900-985 ended up. There's another DOHC 750-955 with .110" wall sleeve but leaving paper thin aluminum in places, wondering how well that is going to support head gasket. Both are impeccable work, 1 is APE and the other old MTC stuff. Just pushing the physics.

Thank you for that opinion...........

Last edited:
The 836 kit in the sohc motors are routinely around .065". They last forever, probably the most reliable big bore kit in a bike ever made. They have been around since the 750 came out.

Back