• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Backfires, misfires, wont run

jimjams

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all, 1983 CB750F.

I recently got the bike running after being sat in a garage for 10 years. I wired up some new coils, changed the plugs, rebuilt the carbs and connected a battery and she fired right up.
After a few days of starting on the button, with the bike ticking over on the driveway I adjusted the cam chain tensioners.
The bike seemed to be running fine the whole time I was doing this. However when I returned to the bike a few days later it wouldn’t fire.

Now it seems that the bike will gurble and backfire whilst turning over, or occasionally run on a couple of cylinders but just won’t run like it was before.

I’m still getting fuel and spark as before.

Is it possible that by adjusting the chain tensioner bolts the timing could’ve somehow slipped/adjusted?

TIA

Although this post didn’t gather much (any) traction. In case anyone should have a similar problem in the future.

I found the issue in the end was that that inlet cam had somehow skipped a link on the timing chain, I can only assume this happened when adjusting. See below photo.

Attachments

• CD411570-591C-4A48-83A3-0DA9A6C6EFE1.jpeg
    CD411570-591C-4A48-83A3-0DA9A6C6EFE1.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 99
Back