• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Another Fork Seal thread - 1981 CB750K DOHC

PRIMEWORKS

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had some bad luck with one of my fork seals consistently leaking and wanted to get the opinion of others. Take a look at the following pictures and please let me know if anything obvious stands out that could potentially cause a fork to leak:

I feel like the problem likely has to do with the fact that the fork tube has a number of little gouges in it. I did go through the process of using JB weld and ensuring the fork tube was smooth after filling the gouges but maybe the damage is too severe? or maybe I accidentally installed the fork seal upside down? Let me know your thoughts. Hopefully if it is the fork tube a new/used one is easy to purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Screenshot 2022-05-09 223323.png
Screenshot 2022-05-09 223241.png
Screenshot 2022-05-09 223028.png
Screenshot 2022-05-09 222336.png
Screenshot 2022-05-09 222145.png

Noob here, I am doing fork seals right now. Learning stuff on this site and came across this thread. The 1st 2 pics of the forks are the little gouges you talking about? You mean you JB welded the seals outer into the forks? They don't look too bad to me and gouge lines are not all the way up so I'm not sure if that's the problem. How does the seal looks on the inside (tube sliding side) ? I mean leaky tubes on top will only leak from outside or inside of seal right? Outside would be hard to judge after installed and pried out but the inside should tell a story? The tube pictures shows pitting on non sliding surfaces I assume? Some people say they don't slide seals pass those areas for install for fear of damages on seal, they slide them from bottom tubes (or seal pounded on forks 1st then slide tubes in, possible on CBs not all bikes) Not sure if that's why you have leaks. Don't think you would install seals upside down if you only have one side leaking. Spring side up is correct FYI. If those pitting are on the sliding area then yeah, new tubes are needed IMO. Easy to buy new online. Post some updates as we all like to learn, cheers!

Back