• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Am I in the right place?/ General advice/ Question Dump [1984 Nighthawk 700SC]

LiveAxolotl

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Bought this thing for my bother after his 06 R1 popped. I'm going to need some guidance keeping it going, since its not a very common bike. Does anyone know of any dedicated forums for this motorcycle (1984-86 Honda nighthawk 700sc) or its sister platforms? Is this a common bike on this fo forum?

The bike is 100% orginal, great condition and low miles (10k)

My Current Questions/Concerns:
1) The brake dive on this bike is unacceptable, where can I purchase stiffer springs for the front? Is there a chance of revalving it? If not, what is the heaviest oil weight I can place in the forks without causing problems? What are the issues that can be occur when running heavy oil in the forks?
2) Are there any adustable aftermarket rear shocks that I could swap onto this bike? Has anyone seen that done?
3) The bike has a substaintal oil leak. I have heard of additives which can make the oil floresient, are any of these motorcycle, which is to say "wet clutch", safe? I plan to degrease the motor, add the dye, then look for the leak and replace the gasket.
4) Does anyone make a fork brace for this bike?
5) Does anyone understand this strange honda cartrige fork system? Can anyone provide a technical article on it? What is the purpose of the air valves on the top of the forks? How does the antidive work? What can I do to optimise the perfromance of these forks?
6) This bike requires full choke to start even in warm weather, is that an indication that the carbs need cleaning/poorly synced?
7) The bike was run for about 20 miles with the oil sitting around the "oil is low" mark on the dipstick. I have a lot of faith in these old hondas, is that misplaced? is the main set (crank and connecting rod bearings) really stronger and more resiliant than modern superbikes? If so, why?

I mostly work on 2006+ fi sport bikes, so this thing is a bit out of my area of expertice. Overall I have been very impressed with its quality, ride and handeling considering its price ($1200) and vintage.

Pics for those interested:
https://imgur.com/gallery/tEnID4B

*edit* as a side note, does anyone know how I can change my avatar? I seached the forums but couldn't find it! Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice looking bike. #1 & #2, I'd check to see what progressive has available, but first check (and change) the fork oil. I'd start with Dexron ATF.
#3 clean it up and it should soon be obvious without dyes. I've seen several instances where oil on the engine was actually fork oil from blown seals.
If you feel the need to improve cartriges, contact Traxxion Inc. in Woodstock, GA.

Back