• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Airbox-Carb Boot Installation

80750f

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Bike: 1980 CB750F
Hello everyone, so this weekend project initially began as a quick and easy carb clean- my first one mind you. That was all fine and dandy but the thing is, the carbs are back on the bike but I can’t get the boots back in their proper position- with them sealed around the airbox and clamped fully around the carbs. I don’t know if I’m just stupid but this has literally taken me a total of 8+ hours, literally just trying to connect the damn boots. Literally tearing my hair out over this, I thought putting it back together was the easy part of the carb cleaning but I guess not. It’s difficult for them to seal around the airbox. They are new boots too.
Extremely frustrated at the moment.

Does anyone know the proper technique to connecting the carbs-boots-airbox together?
I’ve tried heat gun and lube- they help but I think I’m just missing a technique.
Or maybe I’ve put the boots on wrong? The two angled boots go in the middle right?- With them angled on the side
They go:
Straight boot, angled boot, angled boot, straight
if I’m not mistaken.

Thank you all so much! I have no idea why this is being so difficult😂

Attachments

• 49679BFC-CFED-400C-AFD8-F5464AF91237.jpeg
    49679BFC-CFED-400C-AFD8-F5464AF91237.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 498
They go on angled boot straight boot, straight boot angled boot and yes they are a twat to put back on. Found best way push them into air box leaving the lip that goes on the carb sticking out on each rubber. This gives you a bit more room, feed the boots onto the carbs the two angled outside rubbers angle inwards to line the box to the inlet ports on the carbs. Good luck and if it won't go don't force it as the saying goes cos they can rip easy👍👍

Ive taken my carbs off twice this year and yes it is a pain in the ass getting the boots back on. Angled boots go on carb 1 and 4, and as previous reply said push the boot almost all the way into the airbox for easy removal and easier???instillation. I believe each boot has a flat spot to help line it up but that didnt seem to help me. Im thinking about going to pods just to make it a lot easier to access the carbs. Have paticance. Im starting to get into fixing and riding older bikes...80s .....but Im starting to realize just how nice fuel injection can be!

Hello, i am in the same situation. Trying to put the airbox back on. We need a video or a thorough instruction how to do this. Its such a common issue i am surprised i cant find any video on it somewhere. Did you find a good way to do it?

Hello, i am in the same situation. Trying to put the airbox back on. We need a video or a thorough instruction how to do this. Its such a common issue i am surprised i cant find any video on it somewhere. Did you find a good way to do it?
Nope, bike’s been sitting the garage ever since the original post because I ripped out too many hairs from stressing over those damn boots. I’ve since bought a fuel injected bike (2008 SV650s) so I can scratch my riding itch but I want to fix this bike since it was my first bike-it has a lot of sentimental value to me so it hurts seeing it rotting for almost a year now :(
So, I’m looking at selling the OEM Carb, airbox, boots etc., for a plug-and-play Murray’s carb. It won’t please the purists but it takes out all the carb-boot stress😆
Let me know if you ended up getting em on right though.

9 months contemplating the airbox is a longtime....;)

If going with the Murray's decide what pipe you'll use...and hell set the carbs up for you....
You'll find that the Murrays dont act like your stock carb...theres an art to them, you may want to do a lil research on them before hand....just opening the throttle causes the bike to "semi stall".....this was a cx500 review but it will apply to the 2 to 4 set up....
https://murrayscarbs.com/vm34-for-cx500-review-by-motomicah/

Hello, I did get them on and the bike runs really good now. I took out all the jets from the carb and cleaned them. Then som new sparkplugs and it fired up just fine. Its hell to get them on but once you figured out the trick its not that hard. There are a few videos on youtube on how to do it. Search for different combos like Honda cb900f and cb 750 k and so on.

I would not suggest to go the Murray route. You get 2 less carbs and a power decrease and its not worth the money. Try to sort the bike out with the original stuff, it will run better.

Pull the airbox all the way back. Have all the boots all the way tucked inside the airbox so its just a small piece visable. Also double check so you have the right boots on right place in the airbox. I did that mistake, and they are different. And when everything is lined up its just to have the right mindset and patience :) I told myself not to leave the garage until it was done :)

Airbox has to go in first, take a deep breath.... when you have your carbs out go ahead and align your airbox so that you know your boots are in the proper alignment loosen up all your clamps so they will not be a hindrance. You can put your linkage and your choke cable on now it will save you some headache in the long run. If you have a hair dryer now would be a good time warm up your intake and your exhaust boots don't worry if you're using a hair dryer they won't melt. Put your bolt through the frame into your box lightly push it all the way back and tighten. With your cars at a slight angle maneuvering slowly and align with your manifold boots first double check no boot is hanging up with a pic or something similar and push in if you need to a slight tap with a rubber hammer then undo your screw to the airbox and position the airbox if you have everything right it'll fall in like butter you might have to angle your carburetor is a little bit now the important exhale and put on your clamps and believe me the hair dryer can be your best friend.

Last edited:
Back