• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

82 CB900F Front Fork Spring Length??

Geno1

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of replacing seals on one of my front forks, I've measured the length of the fork spring, which is coming in at 525mm, according to my Haynes manual service limit on these is 551mm??

Seems like a massive amount of wear??

Can anyone confirm the service limit on these springs and also recommend a decent replacement as honda have discontinued manufacture of them.

Thanks

Eoin

900F fork spring length new is 532 mm., the service limit is 521mm. Springs don't really wear at all, they sag and collapse to get shorter. The numbers are from the Honda 900F service manual and for the 39 mm. fork. Haynes mistakes like that are common, or they may have used the Euro fork for 900F, they used 35 mm. forks at least on the early ones. Haynes is a British manual. I bought one for Ford Focus and had to spend time sorting out the right hand drive changes made in the cars, some of the pics were really wonky.

Amc49 thank you very much for the input, I've been struggling to find the right replacements so the fact they dont need replacing is a God send.

Yes I'm in Ireland and the 900F is an American import, theres been a few different 900F models in the UK, maybe I read it wrong..

When you say 39mm forks is that the diameter if the stanchion or spring??

Thanks again

Eoin

Outer diameter of the upper fork tube itself. Fork springs can be helped at first by simply replacing the sagged amount with an equivalent length spacer to use them longer.

Yeah I measured and they're 39mm.. I remeasured the spring length and they're 528mm and 529mm.. I assume 3 or 4mm is fine??

Thanks again

Back