• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

"79 Front Caliper

Bloody Mary

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to get a spare caliper for my '79 750LTD. Looks like left caliper from '81 Custom is the same. Can anyone confirm?
Thanks.

Go to partzilla.com, plug in both in parts lists and compare the part numbers. There are differences. Bear in mind for entire caliper the bracket may make the difference, the C model uses leading axle and the other does not and should alter the bracket a slight bit. Also something in the caliper long slider bolts may have changed at some point too, there are indicators for it in the pics. Largely though the caliper itself seems to be the same, but Honda changes the number with the slightest mod to a part. FYI, the middle digits 425 mean CB750 and MA5 means 750C-B model, meaning there are likely small differences. The middle numbers change every time a new part mod shows up on a newer model, it can be so slight as to not be easy to see.

Last edited:
Indeed, most of the internal parts have the same numbers, however, caliper, carrier, etc. are different. It's confusing as some parts have multiple part numbers. Guess I'll pass on the extra assembly.
Thank you again.

Some of the multiple part numbers may be for different vendors of the same part like pads. They would all have to be able to fit the major assembly though. Caliper if anything may be spaced sideways differently in the bosses molded to meet up with the bracket itself, or maybe an attaching bolt changed slightly in some way. Can't say until the part is in hand. I have both added washers to bosses or shaved them down to make an 'identical' caliper before myself. Be careful with opposite sides, the bleed port changes ends on the caliper doing it.

Looking closer....the 1981 Custom's left carrier (part that attaches the caliper to the fork) is much different. Bolt spacing is farther apart.

Well there is always something isn't there??? Why comparing those numbers can save you some hurt. If bolt spacing to the FORK, the caliper may still be the same but if CALIPER location bolts move, well, no. I suspect they would likely change the bracket up to keep basic caliper the same for commonality of parts but not guaranteed.

For sure. Actually found a complete caliper for a '79....it will need a bit more work to make it a serviceable replacement. Am almost done rebuilding my caliper and master cylinder. So many of these parts are unavailable...thought it prudent to have a spare.
Thank you again.

For sure. Actually found a complete caliper for a '79....it will need a bit more work to make it a serviceable replacement. Am almost done rebuilding my caliper and master cylinder. So many of these parts are unavailable...thought it prudent to have a spare.
Thank you again.
Did you find a caliper rebuild kit for the single piston Tokico’s?

Back