• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

77 cb750 looking for pointers on going cafe

Going cafe

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I recently came across a 77 cb750 that I would like to go cafe racer style with. It is missing the seat so that is my first challenge in order to make it rideable. Also I have read that the frame should have some additional support added and some weight reductions how does on go about this?? I am also looking for a good front end swap to go dual disc brakes. Any other suggestions and information is greatly appreciated. This is my first build of this style as well as my first bike of this era so my knowledge at this point is limited. I'm at the research and idea stage basically besides getting it rideable and working out the obvious or detrimental bugs. So what ar the suggestions? Right now my questions are what are some things I need to do to go with a brat style seat in accordance to the frame? Can I eliminate the battery and go with just the kick start (need turns and such) are there any other things I should check for??

Get flat bars, not clubman style. Unless you change the light/starter controls, they will dent your tank at the first chance they get.

I dont suggest going kick start only...they are not meant to be the primary way of starting. The kickstarter was only meant as a backup to the electric start. IF used constantly you can bobble out the hole in the side cover that the shaft rides on...its metal on aluminum. The mechanism inside can break if abused and replacement requires splitting the cases. Go with a newer sealed batter...they are normally a little smaller and easier to mount. Theres really no reason to eliminate the battery as it is tucked away under the seat anyway next to the oil tank.

Unless you are really planning on riding hard I dont really recommend doing much for trying to alter the frame. They are a heavy bike by nature and you can only lighten them up so much before you really have to spend a lot of money to get them light. Its really not worth it on an old bike that no matter what you do to it , it still wont really be fast. If you like the cafe look, which is up to you then just go for the look but dont get too hung up on really going after major lightening or frame modifications...its not really worth it.

I dont suggest going kick start only...they are not meant to be the primary way of starting. The kickstarter was only meant as a backup to the electric start. IF used constantly you can bobble out the hole in the side cover that the shaft rides on...its metal on aluminum. The mechanism inside can break if abused and replacement requires splitting the cases. Go with a newer sealed batter...they are normally a little smaller and easier to mount. Theres really no reason to eliminate the battery as it is tucked away under the seat anyway next to the oil tank.

Unless you are really planning on riding hard I dont really recommend doing much for trying to alter the frame. They are a heavy bike by nature and you can only lighten them up so much before you really have to spend a lot of money to get them light. Its really not worth it on an old bike that no matter what you do to it , it still wont really be fast. If you like the cafe look, which is up to you then just go for the look but dont get too hung up on really going after major lightening or frame modifications...its not really worth it.

Agreed!
...and should you tire of the cafe look, it will be much easier to switch back to stock or whatever direction you want to go.

Back