• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

77 cb750 gasket kit questions

ILockert

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I bought a 77 cb750k and it has a small oil leak and I’m sure it probably needs to be tore down and refreshed. Runs great, but the oil spot on the garage floor is annoying. When I got the bike I was also given a complete gasket kit only down side the label on it says it’s for a 76-78 cb750 super sport. I’ve been looking around and I can’t seem to find anything saying if this kit will work with my motor or not.
I attached an image of the kit I have.

Attachments

• EAC6215A-71C7-48E3-81CB-C24B66AA05A7.jpeg
    EAC6215A-71C7-48E3-81CB-C24B66AA05A7.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 71
Everything should work. 90% of the parts in the engines are the same. What is leaking oil on your engine? Depending on where the leak is will determine if you have to tear it all the way down or not.

It drips a little after running. Once I clean the oil up if I don’t run it it won’t drip until I start it again. I’m not sure if anyone has been into the motor before, so it could just be old and worn out or something was done correctly during the rebuild. It don’t help that I have friends who are bad/good influences that are saying well if you have to tear it down you might as well build it better and faster..

The picture has a arrow pointed at the spot of the leak.

Attachments

• D717137D-E82D-4970-9112-FAE410579849.jpeg
    D717137D-E82D-4970-9112-FAE410579849.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 78
Normally that is the head gasket. If the oil is originating from the front of the head it is more than likely the rubber sealing nickels under the cam towers. I have had them leak with aftermarket head gaskets, many of them are too hard of material and dont conform to any imperfections on the head and cylinder surfaces. I only use Cometic graphite or if you have the engine apart, have the head and cylinder surfaced for use with MLS gaskets. If the engine has been apart it could be several things causing leak. If its never been apart, the honda gaskets did have a tendency to seep oil after many years. The gaskets compress and the cylinder studs are weak and let the gasket lose tension over time. I never reassemble any sohc without using heavy duty studs.

I know the answer to this question is probably going to be no, but is there any thing to look for to have a better idea if someone has had the motor tore apart at some time?

Look for rounded bolt heads, probably be able to tell when you start tearing it down if gaskets have been scraped off at some point etc.

Back