• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

71 cb750 starting after 30yrs?

Clittle81

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Just got my hands on a 71 cb750 that has been garage kept for the past 30yrs.
It’s a very well kept bike. I got it for free.
Any tips before starting a bike that has sat for 30yrs?

I think there is a faq for that. Maybe in the new member's section. Should be very easy. I just started a '79 CB750F today that has been ignored outdoors since the 90's.

I changed the oil and filter, pulled the valve cover (dohc) and put assembly lube everywhere I could get it, measured the valve clearance and adjusted it (shims), cleaned and repaired a lot of things like the alternator commutator that was corroded. Measured compression, pulled ALL electrical connectors apart and cleaned/tightened (replaced a couple). Pulled the carbs and disassembled/cleaned. Drained the nasty old gas and filled the tank with a gallon of acetone, then rolled it to a different side every day for two weeks (to remove the varnish left by the old gas). Then used Evaporust to remove the rust from inside. Put a new petcock and fuel filter/fuel lines on it. Threw the chain away (new one yet to be ordered) because it was rusted stiff, and replaced all wheel bearings. Replaced all brake lines and rebuilt all brake cylinders (do this BEFORE attempting to ride!) Will also replace the tires that are decades old before attempting to ride it. It was in really baaad shape. I had to change the forks out because a PO had put dangerous forks on it. I won't even try to make it look good - it will be a rat bike. But then, I'm retired, have the time, and this is my winter's project.

I changed the oil and filter, pulled the valve cover (dohc) and put assembly lube everywhere I could get it, measured the valve clearance and adjusted it (shims), cleaned and repaired a lot of things like the alternator commutator that was corroded. Measured compression, pulled ALL electrical connectors apart and cleaned/tightened (replaced a couple). Pulled the carbs and disassembled/cleaned. Drained the nasty old gas and filled the tank with a gallon of acetone, then rolled it to a different side every day for two weeks (to remove the varnish left by the old gas). Then used Evaporust to remove the rust from inside. Put a new petcock and fuel filter/fuel lines on it. Threw the chain away (new one yet to be ordered) because it was rusted stiff, and replaced all wheel bearings. Replaced all brake lines and rebuilt all brake cylinders (do this BEFORE attempting to ride!) Will also replace the tires that are decades old before attempting to ride it. It was in really baaad shape. I had to change the forks out because a PO had put dangerous forks on it. I won't even try to make it look good - it will be a rat bike. But then, I'm retired, have the time, and this is my winter's project.

Sweet! Thanks...
I’m not planning on riding anytime soon.

Back