• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 honda nighthawk 750 cold starting

lawnmower man

CB750 Member
Reaction score
i have a 1982 honda cb 750 nighthawk . the problem after sitting for two weeks it takes a long time to start and wears the battery down, its like im losing prime or something? on day one after a good ride it starts right up and day two it takes 1 minute to start , day three , 2 minutes , and so on, after a week it is hard to start. id like to find the problem, can anyone tell me where to start could it be losing its prime or vacuum ?

Your problem is probably more in your battery do you have a multimeter put it on the battery with a full charge and then start it.. if the voltage drops there is an issue.. when you ride it everyday they probably keep it charged enough to start... That tank if I work all or that bike is just gravity fed petcock I believe.

Your problem is probably more in your battery do you have a multimeter put it on the battery with a full charge and then start it.. if the voltage drops there is an issue.. when you ride it everyday they probably keep it charged enough to start... That tank if I work all or that bike is just gravity fed petcock I believe.
brand new battery full charge . petcock is simple but attached to the carb is some kind of a fuel vacuum. ill have to read up on it

What positions does the petcock have? If it has a prime position, try putting in on that for about 15 seconds before you start it (when it's been been sitting for a long time).

What I do is to put a longer pipe on the vacuum side of the tap and gently suck to open the tap so the carbs can refill and then replace the pipe with the one going to the engine. Couple of turns on the starter and she fires up.

Back