• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1980 Cb750c counter shaft seal

Nitro Nic

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve got a 1980 cb750c dohc. I recent rebuilt the top end of it, minus a few seals, but I made the mistake of trying to change the counter shaft seal once the motor was together, major mistake in my part. I totally messed it up, and to get the new one in you need to crack the case in half 🤦🏼‍♂️. Does anyone have any experience with swiping it for a generic press in shaft seal? I’d rather not split the case haha

Only way you could swap it out for a generic press-in shaft seal would be to have a machine shop bore the hole to remove the lip that the original seal is located with.
Unfortunately you definitely have to pop the lower case off to replace that seal properly.

You don't actually have to disassemble the top end of the engine to get the lower half of the crankcase off, from what I understand. If you can get the engine out you can take off only the lower case, fix your seal, and put it back together.

Back