• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1978 CB750A tank petcock questions

moby1kanobi

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, glad to be a part of this group. I do apologize if this has been covered before. I picked up this beauty with only 3062 original miles. Obviously been sitting. Issue I am inquiring about is I am in the tank cleaning stage. This is a single tube petcock screw on design. When I removed the old petcock its just a tube, no screen. Low and behold the screen is still attached inside the tank. Is this the way it was designed or have the years of crud and varnish kept it fro me? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The filter can be removed, it often requires some persuasion. I usually start with a sharp pick and push it in between the plastic filter tube and the inside of the bung. Once the side of the filter is forced to cave inwards I'll grab it with needle nose pliers and pull with a twisting motion.

EZPZ

The filter can be removed, it often requires some persuasion. I usually start with a sharp pick and push it in between the plastic filter tube and the inside of the bung. Once the side of the filter is forced to cave inwards I'll grab it with needle nose pliers and pull with a twisting motion.

EZPZ
So the filter is attached from inside the tank then? Appreciate your help!

So the filter is attached from inside the tank then? Appreciate your help!
No, there is no "attachment", just a very small lip on the filter that when inserted into the petcock bung rests in a very small recess inside the bung. When the petcock is removed the old neglected filter will often remain in place, hence the extra bit of persuasion that is required to remove. This is usually a result of the accumulated crud in and around the filter.

Back