• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1975 CB750F Cafe project

Donatello

Donatello
Reaction score
honda.jpg

My latest project. I want to build a cafe bike. I just purchased this 1975 CB750F. It's running and already has some work done to it. I want it to be more like the bike in the second pic. I don't have a lot of experience with vintage bikes so I'm researching on the internet and in forums like this one to get ideas and advice. No real time line and my budget is a guess at about $10,000. Not sure if that is too low or high. If Orange County Choppers was building it I guess it would cost $100,000. I'm hoping to build most of it in my garage and send it out for paint and mechanical I can't handle myself. Do you think the gas tank on my bike is the original? The cap is recessed under a door. I'm thinking I will go with a custom tank. I like a smaller tank with cut outs for your knees. I will probably pull off the factory air box and go with some small air filters. I don't think I will do much to the engine internally unless I find it needs it. Since the bike is in good mechanical condition I will probably focus on suspension, braking, and cosmetics. I'm really having a hard time with where to start. The seat that is currently on the bike is garbage. It looks ok but the way it is attached is hokey. I have another set of bars that are lower and I'm planning on using those. The previous owner said he didn't like the way it rode with them on. I ride a sport bike so leaning forward is not an issue with me. Anyway, just wanted get some input. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• honda-cb-750k-restored-cafe-racer-photo-gallery-50548-7.jpg
    honda-cb-750k-restored-cafe-racer-photo-gallery-50548-7.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 177
I love all the black on the bike in the other pic. Can I do that to my bike? I mean, do I have to buy all new custom parts or can I black out my existing wheels, engine, shocks, etc?

Welcome, You have a fine start for your cafe project. Yes that is the stock tank, there are many options for your tank and seat, Dime City Cycles is a good place to start. You can black out all the parts on your bike as in the 2nd pic, Many cb's come with black engines and powdercoating wheels is also common, With a $10,000 budget you will have a very nice machine when done. Keep us posted with your progress and have fun with it.

The tank you have on your bike is from a later model K7 or K8, unless it has a sending unit in the top of the tank, under the fuel door behind the gas cap, then it would be from an "A" model.

All of the 750 "F" style tanks use a similar fuel door, but the "F" model tanks are more slender in the front and slightly longer overall. Someone has put a later model "K" tank on your early "F" model.

https://www.google.com/search?q=197...e=univ&ei=iFBoVef5L4apsAX_tIHwCQ&ved=0CDwQ7Ak

Back