• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1974 CB750

A really good stake can often extend past the obvious visual indents, if they don't come loose easy at first I drill again slightly bigger. At some point the part always comes out easy.

Like with removing spotwelded parts, some don't need much drilling and others you have to drill out a bit bigger than the spot, it not being exact technology.

New Tool Aboard....

I have two rear wheels for my project. I used the worst of the two to experiment with bearing removal. Heat, WD40, so forth, but lets just face it, not an easy task. The lip of the bearings are very difficult to reach with a punch or chisel due to the sleeve between the bearings, some suggest bending the sleeve for better access, but in my case the prongs came loose and since they are pressed on, I don't know if a repair is possible, but both rear wheel bearings were finally knocked out. Removal of the hub bearing is piece of cake, great access, knocked it out with a right sized socket.

I looked it my good wheel last evening and decided, the good Lord made tools for a reason. When Harbor Freight opened this morning I was standing there with my Christmas gift card in hand. I now own a blind hole bearing remover tool, the slide hammer type. I will probably use it once a year if I am lucky, but no more beating with a hammer and punch and inventing new curse words.....

Darn Dirty at the End of the Day.....

Everything I touch now is dirty and it all needs degreasing, sanding, and paint. One piece at a time. The blind wheel bearing puller is my new best friend, works great...

Attachments

• DSC04613.jpg
    DSC04613.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC04609.jpg
    DSC04609.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC04610.jpg
    DSC04610.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC04616.jpg
    DSC04616.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC04617.jpg
    DSC04617.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 159
Parts Break

Still waiting on parts to arrive so I took a break, did a little clean up by picking up tools, filing receipts, and just a general reorganization. I am thinking of applying for a patent on my 6 buck homemade shock spring compressor tool....

Attachments

• DSC04625.jpg
    DSC04625.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC04624.jpg
    DSC04624.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC04618.jpg
    DSC04618.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC04622.jpg
    DSC04622.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 167
Still waiting on parts to arrive so I took a break, did a little clean up by picking up tools, filing receipts, and just a general reorganization. I am thinking of applying for a patent on my 6 buck homemade shock spring compressor tool....

You Rock Britman! Where are you located?

We are back to roller status

New chain, new shocks on the way, got the K 70 on without pinching the tube, all is good...... At least it is mobile again.....

Attachments

• DSC04635.jpg
    DSC04635.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC04637.jpg
    DSC04637.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 154
I am done....

Finished bolting the headers on today, used set no directions, took a few minutes. Checked everything one more time, gassed the tank, crossed my fingers, and hit the starter, fired right away. Couple little adjustments needed to dial in the carbs, some clutch cable adjustment, but otherwise it runs beautifully. Shifts like butter, little to no hesitation, and pulls like a freight train. I am very very pleased. I knew there was something else I had to order, forgot mirrors, but it is a long time to warmer weather and I have to make my mind up between now and then as to if this one stays or goes, it does run darn good.....

Thanks one and all for the kind comments on this little adventure, now to start looking for the next one......

Attachments

• IMG_0080 (1).jpg
    IMG_0080 (1).jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 173
Maybe they are never finished until they roll out of the driveway into the back of the new owners truck. Right now this one is staying with a new set of mirrors, a brand new Dynatek Electronic Ignition, high output coils, new plug leads, caps, and a modern rectifier/regulator. I bolted the system in today, and it starts a lot better, if it ever stops raining a test drive will be done. While I was in there I also by passed the starter safety switch, it had seen better days....

Back