• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CV Carbs, Dynojet Stage 3, K&N Pods

jacksondee

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas

1981 CB750F SS. Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and I took the baffle out so she's obnoxious. Bought it because it was pretty and the 'newest' bike available to me at the time in my price range. Didn't realize I was kind of shooting myself in the foot as all the Cafe Racer stuff tends to cater to SOHC bikes..

Little interwebs research suggested I am screwed if I want to do pods on a DOHC, and I really want to do pods...

Little more interweb research and a few emails sent to custom shops, and I believe it was the guys http://www.steelbentcustoms.com/ that said if I was to ship my carb to them, they'd clean, install DynoJet Stage 3 carb kit, install K&N pods and sync for ~$350..

Watched a ton of carb cleaning and re jetting videos on the YouTube this weekend and I think I can do it myself. We have long winters in Chicago, like 6 months, so I'd have plenty of time to tinker with the thing while the road is covered in salt and snow and ice and its -12 degrees out...

Does any of that sound ridiculous? Quite a few of you on here have said that trying to put pods on a DOHC is just a really bad idea.. Steel Bent has pics all over their website of DOHC with tasty pods on them...

I have pod filters on my DOHC and while it runs good and stuff, it could run better. I have seen some bikes have what looks like a single chrome style box filter but I have not been able to find them online anywhere. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or something.

Rejetting is not that hard at all. The tuning and syncing is something I have no clue on as I dont have the right tool for doing that. I personally like the looks of the pod filters way better and with my frame (AMEN hardtail frame), I dont think I can run the stock air box at all so pods are pretty much my only choice really.

I have pod filters on my DOHC and while it runs good and stuff, it could run better. I have seen some bikes have what looks like a single chrome style box filter but I have not been able to find them online anywhere. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or something.

Rejetting is not that hard at all. The tuning and syncing is something I have no clue on as I dont have the right tool for doing that. I personally like the looks of the pod filters way better and with my frame (AMEN hardtail frame), I dont think I can run the stock air box at all so pods are pretty much my only choice really.

Did you re jet in addition to adding the pods?

Check this page out for one example of the chrome full size air filter that goes across all 4 carb intakes

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Filters Page.htm

To be honest, I dont know what jets are in mine, the pod filters were on it when I got the bike and I havent stopped riding it long enough to tear into it. I am going to be redoing the entire bike this winter and rebuilding the motor so im sure I will figure that out at that time.

That is for the SOHC motors. The openings on the carbs are different size then the DOHC carbs. I do like the half moon pod filters though that they have for the DOHC.

To be honest, I dont know what jets are in mine, the pod filters were on it when I got the bike and I havent stopped riding it long enough to tear into it. I am going to be redoing the entire bike this winter and rebuilding the motor so im sure I will figure that out at that time.

That is for the SOHC motors. The openings on the carbs are different size then the DOHC carbs. I do like the half moon pod filters though that they have for the DOHC.

Oh, duh on the SOHC. I swear I found one for DOHC. Maybe at Cycle X or maybe at Dime City?

I am mostly curious if anyone has experience with the DynoJet Stage 3 kit. The guys at Steel Bent said thats how they 'fix' the pods on DOHC 'problem'. Looking at the DynoJet info page suggests it might not add the 10-15% horsepower that pods normally add, but it will at least let the bike run without issue. So is it worth doing it? To me yes, even if I don't get extra power, cuz I want to take it apart and put it back together, and I think it looks cool as hell. Any extra power would be nice too, of course..

Here' the DynoJet Stage 3 info:

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1127.pdf

Just saw this thread so forgive me for the late response, but anyway I know what you mean. I have a stage 3 jet kit in my 1981 cb750 with pods with a 4 into 1 exhaust. It runs fine, but could be better. I need to still do more tinkering with it like adjusting the valves, but it does run pretty well. The temperature is far to low to be sure though. I have not had a problem with excessive backfire like some people do nor the spuddering problem. It doesn't like to idle for more than 2 minutes though, but that could just be because of the cold. Plenty of power, but it does seem strange to have a cruising rpm at about 6k, but people tell me that's normal. Louder than hell!!! I still need to check the plugs to make sure it's not running rich which seems to happen often with the stage 3 since the jets are freaking huge. It starts right up with full choke, and run fine without it.

Back