• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

new clutch slips

78 RatK

Projects..........
Reaction score
My clutch started slipping so I ordered a Barnett kit and installed it. I figured that since I was doing that I might as well change the oil. I used Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil because I thought that I had read somewhere that diesel oil was good to use in a bike because of all the additives, and this oil is supposed to be good for high heat. Got everything put back together and started the bike to let it warm up a little, plus I like the sound of the open header:wink2:. when I went to take it for a test run (open Header),the clutch was slipping worse than the one I took out. Shut 'er down, pushed it back in the garage and went to look at my manual. Double checked all adjustments AND IT STILL SLIPS. Is the synthetic oil too slippery or is there something I need to check? It's a 78 750 F. Thanks for any info, Jeff

Last edited:
I wouldn't run synthetic car oil in a motorcycle. I do successfully run synthetic motorcycle specific oil though. The old standard Rotella was good oil because it still had high levels of zinc in it but it has been reduced lately, you are far better off running Amsoil if you want a synthetic oil for a motorcycle.

Thanks Digger, another ?...the clutch that I took out had a "double steel" type plate in the middle and the springs were longer . I put in the kit just as Barnett sent it, 7 friction discs and 6 steels and new springs, would that change anything about how the clutch works? I know the stack width should be different...... I don't know. Also , since I had to pre-soak the clutch discs in the oil, will that affect anything when I change the oil out. I've already drain the oil out of the pan and tank. Thanks , Jeff

Back