• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stuck Drain Plug?

jacksondee

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, super noob question. I am a handy guy, so purchased CB750 F SS 1981 in order to learn how to work on it.

Very first order of business is an oil change, right? Got the Honda GN4 10W-30 and the HiFlo oil filter and the rubber washers and some metric sockets and wrenches. Ready to go, right?

The drain plug is size 17. Cool. Getting to work on that thing- and wtf?! Is there a trick of the trade for getting the drain plug off?! That thing is on there! Me and a friend just gave it a couple of go's and neither one of us could get it to budge one bit. I'm saying, I couldn't get it to move even the tiniest bit. I'm a pretty big guy too so I guess its just not in the cards today. Brought the bike back inside and time to search the interwebs to find out what I am doing wrong or discover some secret trick of the trade I don't know about...

My socket wrench is one of those crappy inside your home housewife kind of socket wrenches. I have a feeling I just need one with a much longer handle to get a better grip on it. Also my wrenches are little $8 Menard's pieces of crap too....

Nothing special about getting it off. Get a good 6 point wrench or socket so you dont round the corners off. More than lickely it has just been many years since it has been off.

Nothing special about getting it off. Get a good 6 point wrench or socket so you dont round the corners off. More than lickely it has just been many years since it has been off.

Well... Here goes, I'll share the story with you all despite knowing how hard everyone will laugh at my expense..

After a bit more interwebs research I decided to let the bike idle for like 8 minutes. Thinking I didn't let it warm up enough the first time around. Then I got a length of conduit to put at the end of my isshy little socket wrench for more leverage. Tugging at the bastard and it just wont budge...

My landlord happens to be around collecting rent from the other tenants. He has some mid 70s BMW he bought because he like to work on it. He's watching me wrestle with this freaking drain plug bolt, and he giggles at me.

Anyone have any other idea of what I'm doing wrong besides it being fastened too tight?

.............I'm turning the bolt in the wrong direction, because its upside down...

This is something I will probably smile about for years...

Back