• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 cb750 cv carb swap to pd style carb

spjr2222

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 1982 cb750. I have had carb issues since day one, 2009. i have no mods other then pods. Now i know they are no good for cv style carbs but my airbox was cracked when i first got the bike so i not knowing otherwise put pods on it. i jetted it 75 and 110 as required. i have rebuilt and bench synced the carbs(which is possible). i put new intake boots, plugs and plug wires. the bike is in good shape. the bike would race at idle and then stall, which tells me it has and intake leak. i narrowed it down to the throttle rack. inside is felt washers which are worthless. while taking the carbs apart i dropped one carb and busted it and then had problems getting the intake side butterflies to seat properly. i am at my wits end and want to get different carbs. i dont want to spend alot either. i can purchase a decent set of 1978 and prior for around $100 on ebay.

i want it to be a cruiser with good fuel mileage, no speed demon. My father had a 1978 cb750k and he said his fuel mileage was in the 50's. I've done alot of research and saw cr carbs, gsxr, bst and vms with no interest. The route i want to go is the old cb carbs, preferably pd's(pd42b 31mm). Now that I've given you a little history on my bike, heres my questions:

What carbs do you recommend? 1978 pd42b key style with acc pump or 1976 and prior with round top. Next question is will my intake boots mate with the carbs or do i have to purchase 1978 intake boots? I believe prior to 1977 has bolt on style intake boots. i believe the cv vb42a are 30mm intake so will that conflict with 78 carbs that are 31mm? Will this conversion compromise my performance for the good or the worse? Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Back