• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Interchangeable parts between 1976 & 1978 engines?

Mista750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I am a new owner of a 1976 CB750 Super Sport. This will be my first CB750 and thought this would be the perfect place to ask. The motor on the bike runs and according to the engine serial number, the motor was from a 1978 bike. I lucked out that the previous owner included the original motor with the sale. The carbs are the original 1976 carbs as well. The original motor has a cracked clutch cover, the top end has been pulled part and pistons removed. All the parts were bagged all in one box and looks complete. Unfortunately, nothing was separated and everything is mixed so I can't identify what part belongs with cylinder 1, cylinder 2, etc.

My plan is to put the original motor back and use the 1978 motor as a guide to help me rebuild the top end on the 76. I have a replacement clutch cover and once check the lower half of the 76 motor is good (transmission, crank, etc.), I'll start piecing the top end back using the box-o-parts it came with. If there are parts missing on the 76, wondering if I can use parts from the 78? Can anyone confirm what parts are interchangeable, if any? Aside of not letting the timing chain fall back down into the motor during the build, any advise on building the top end of this motor? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Back