• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch Question

AaronA1

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm working on my 1978 CB750 today, and as I am getting it all together and mocking everything up, I notice something feels weird. I have my clutch cable ran, and hooked up properly(maybe not). So I put the shift lever into first, and try to turn the sprocket coming off of the motor, and the sprocket doesn't turn, which is good, because that means it is in first. Then I bring the shift lever up to neutral, and the sprocket spins freely, which means it is in neutral. So, when I put it in first, and pull the clutch in, the sprocket should spin freely correct? Because when I put it into first, and pull the clutch in, the sprocket DOES NOT spin freely, which means is it is staying in first, when it should be in neutral. So is there something I need to do?? It seems like the clutch isn't doing its job, so what do I need to do to ensure it will work correctly?

There is still a lot of drag in the clutch even when it is pulled in if the motor isn't running. You have oil in the plates causing resistance, plus with it in gear with the clutch pulled in you are still turning more gears than if it was in neutral.

Back