• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

What size steering head bearings for a 1970 CB750

incharacter

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Help please...

Naturally I tossed out the old bearings so I can't check them for size. The Honda shop says they are 1/4 inch but when I tighten everything up I seem to be running out of threads on the steering stem and there is maybe 1/8 inch of slop in the whole assembly. I put the 18 in the top and 19 in the bottom per the Honda book. The balls don't quite touch each other so I'm thinking the balls should be a size or two larger. Can someone advise please?

Thanks,
Mike, Sacramento, CA

Cycle X also has tapered roller bearings that take the place of the oem ball bearings.

I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds, but even if the original steering head bearings were worn, they would possibly have worked just fine once they were cleaned and greased. High speed bearings need to be far more perfect than the low speed steering head bearings on your old CB. When I have repacked steering head bearings, I polish the rough spots on the races and grease everything up. They have always worked fine.

But now that you have discarded the originals, I agree with dirtdigger, that the best option is to get after market caged taper bearings.

I'm for the Allbals bearings too, but to answer your question...

If I remember correctly, the stock balls won't touch each other. It's been awhile, but I think there's a decent amount of room between the bearings, but not enough for another ball.

As for the slop you describe, something surely isn't quite right.

Back