• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

70's era CB750 as investment and fun ride

Sticks34

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get back into riding after a 30 year hiatus. I love to ride but do not have experience working on bikes. I love the 70's era of the cb750. I"ve just started looking for one. Is it possible to find them in good riding condition for a decent price? Say under $4000. And do they hold their value over time? Also, can someone who doesn't know how to work on them still own one without spending a fortune on upkeep? Lastly when looking at one to buy, are there things I should look for that tend to be problems for these?

I live in the Northeast and will be looking in that general area.

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

i'm always amazed when there have been 84 views of your post and no one has anything to say.
i don't get it.
i'm in cali. and yes you can get a good running no big issue cb750 for 4 grand or so.
they are a very good investment. as in they don't seem to lose value, only gain value.
some would say especially if its stock. they don't take a fortune in upkeep. just normal
things, like oil changes, filters, tires... the usual. there are often good old school mechanics
around to help you through any trouble you may find. and there's so much good info here
at this website. things to look for... does it start? stop? all the lights work? visibly leaking
oil? pretty basic stuff. take one for a test drive. if you can. enjoy

This post has only been on here for 2 weeks, its summer lot of people just check out the posts to see what is new and dont have time to comment on each and every post. No one is obligated to post or respond to anyones post. If you have good useful information or a helpful comment then by all means.

Stick34 I would suggest doing a search on this site, we have gone in depth on a couple of posts about this question a while ago. Do the search then if you still have some questions will be happy to help. In general the 750 is a pretty durable motor if it runs pretty smooth then you should have many miles of riding left in it. These bikes do require more mainanence then newer bikes because they do have points, and several things that need to be adjusted annually to keep them running happy.

Thanks alot for the response. Just the info. I needed. Are there any years between 69 and 78 that are better to look for?

You will probably never find a 69, the sandcast guys seem to have them all locked up in there safes never to let them see the light of day...unless you have some serious $$$. I tend to like the early 70's 750's...once you start getting into the 76 and later models you will find Honda started to revamp and redesign some motor parts which makes getting parts harder to find and harder to fit without some work. Once you start looking into a K versus an F and an F2 model then parts interchange gets even more tricky. Yes the later models made a little more power but in all honesty with the amount of aftermarket support for the 750 these days it really doesn't matter because you can make more power then most people need. The rest of the bike has minor changes here and there pretty much every model year but they kept most parts so they can be swapped between all the years. They are generally a very dependable long lived bike.

Back