• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Anyone running RS34 Carbs on their DOHC? Or CR31's

The Menace

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I getting mixed messages, I have an 82 CB750 and I'm running a free flowing exhaust and no air box. I'm having issues with my current set up( won't name names but ), I've been told a few things but the bottom line is before I spend the money. I want to know Mikuni RS34 or Keihin CR31's, do any of you have experience running these on your DOHC CB750?

Theres a bunch of retailers that will say NOT to go with the RS's but I think it might have something to do with the fact they sell CR's!!

Any insight is welcomed.

Thanks

Everyone will have there own opinion. The Mikuni RS is more streetable were the Keihin CR series was designed for racing. Both are very tunable and both work well. I have heard nothing but good things about the RS on street motors and are very drivable and tunable. I have heard of some lower rpm drivablity problems in some cases with the CR's but I have no personal at hand information on setups, conditions, etc. I personally would take the RS over the CR for a streetable motor. I know Ken at Cycle X runs a lot of RS's on his bikes, you may want to call and pick his brain on his thoughts and experiences. Once I get the money saved up I will be getting RS carbs for my sohc.

Thanks dirt
Cycle X huh, I was just going to call them this morn but forgot about the long weekend. I was leaning toward RS myself but I was looking for that extra push. I will talk to Cycle X as well, they were the ones I was going to buy of of anyway. Seems poor that a very reputable retailer .... that I'd already spoken with would tank RS carbs so hard. Surprising!

Anyway thanks again

I fully agree with Digger the RS carbs seem to be more streetable than the CR's. Either will be a 110 percent improvement over the cv carbs that come on the DOHC engines. I too am saving for a set of RS's for my SOHC build.

I wanted to run a Twin Mikuni VM34mm set-up, but have been told it won't work on a stock DOHC frame :(
Are the RS's meant for a stock 750 motor ?? Is it tooo much Carb ?? If I decided down the road to do a Big Bore mod would the RS's be able to adapt with my future upgrades ?

I wanted to run a Twin Mikuni VM34mm set-up, but have been told it won't work on a stock DOHC frame :(
Are the RS's meant for a stock 750 motor ?? Is it tooo much Carb ?? If I decided down the road to do a Big Bore mod would the RS's be able to adapt with my future upgrades ?

I dont know how stock this frame is and dont have much details on the bike other then I heard it runs like a champ! Im looking at doing this twin carb set up on my 79 DOHC this winter hopefully and hopefully it works. lol

Attachments

• lil-bastard_honda_cb900_chopper.jpg
    lil-bastard_honda_cb900_chopper.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 348
I dont know how stock this frame is and dont have much details on the bike other then I heard it runs like a champ! Im looking at doing this twin carb set up on my 79 DOHC this winter hopefully and hopefully it works. lol
That's the same set-up I have seen with Cycle-x intake.

Found this site that has the same Twin set-up but the VM's tuck inward into the DOHC frame with not Mod's needed !
http://www.speedmotoco.com/cb750-DOHC-vm34-dual-carb-Mikuni-complete-kit-car-p/km-vm34-dohc.htm

Back