• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

WHICH TO BUY

Which bike to invest in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surveywaters

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I am purchasing a new toy and am torn on which to get. They are the same price.

The first is a 1978 CB750f with 38,000 on it. It's all original and in GOOD condition. No accessories except a center stand. The '78 has the SOHC and a Kicker.

The second is a 1979 CB750f with 9500 on it. It's all original except for a new V&H 4into1 exhaust. It's in EXCELLENT condition. No accessories, no center stand. The '79 has DOHC and no kicker.

What's got me is the classic look of the '78, the simplistic engine and the kicker are all desirable to me. However, the '79 is in better shape with less miles on it. Is there anything that you guys could add here to complicate or clarify this decision?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I am purchasing a new toy and am torn on which to get. They are the same price.

The first is a 1978 CB750f with 38,000 on it. It's all original and in GOOD condition. No accessories except a center stand. The '78 has the SOHC and a Kicker.

The second is a 1979 CB750f with 9500 on it. It's all original except for a new V&H 4into1 exhaust. It's in EXCELLENT condition. No accessories, no center stand. The '79 has DOHC and no kicker.

What's got me is the classic look of the '78, the simplistic engine and the kicker are all desirable to me. However, the '79 is in better shape with less miles on it. Is there anything that you guys could add here to complicate or clarify this decision?

the 78 all the way its a badass bike to the 79

I agree, but the condition/mileage of the two is getting me. To make it worse, I just found a pretty nice '74 k4 for a real good price, just missing the airbox and original exhaust.
1979 CB750f 1974 CB750K4 1978 CB750f
1979 CB750f.jpg1974 CB750K4.jpg1978 CB750f.jpg

Last edited:
thanks superman, I just managed to get the pic of the '78 up. It looks good, but not nearly AS good.

both great bikes. I have a sohc and a dohc 79 f love them both but prefer the soch. Yeah that 79 is clean! good luck making choice.

This is an easy choice for me. Get the 79.

It's clean, low miles, and has aftermarket exhaust. Plus you can add a kick starter to it (or entirely switch to one with a smaller battery)

If you upgrade the carbs and ignition you probably won't ever run into a better running CB SOHC than your DOHC. The SOHC's have to be built ground up to get the same sort of performance. The DOHC just needs to breath in and out and you get a big boost in performance. (Although I wish I didn't need to downshift sometimes)

The 74 looks kinda cool but the F could look similar with little work.

If you like to go fast get the 79f, the k is more a cruiser/mile muncher, which is the one more fitting to how you ride? All damn fine rides. Good luck.

Back