• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My first CB750K4

Mac3687

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster here. I've been riding an '88 Shadow VLX that started as a bucket of parts since 2008, but always had the itch for a 70's CB750. After getting serious on Craigslist these last few weeks I came across a '74 for $200 outside of Nashville, and I couldn't pass it up. She's been sitting outside in clay for 12 years and it shows, but my VLX looked worse when I started, so I know this project is doable. Almost everything rubber is rotted, the engine has a nice layer of algae on it, and the wheels appear to be solid rust. On the plus side its a complete bike and the wiring/frame/lights are in great shape. Not sure which direction I'm taking her in, but I'll keep every step of the way posted on here, along with the multitude of questions I'm sure I'll have.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I can't believe the wiring is good. Just for the frame and engine you did real good. Did that include a title?

The guy I bought it from didn't have the title, but had the name of the previous owner that gave him the bike in the mid 90's. Thanks to Google I was able to track him down and I mailed him a letter telling him I was looking to buy the bike, and two days later the title showed up in the mail. I don't know why the seller didn't do that in the first place...

Well I was hoping that I could get away with a fairly simple top end rebuild, but after getting home from Indy this weekend and taking a look, I noticed that 3 of the spark plugs are missing, and one is broken off at the nut. Who knows how long it sat outside like that, but it looks like a full overhaul is in order...

Back