• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Airbox vs Pods

Usefie

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Im so sick of my airbox being in the way and thinking of changing to pods on my 81 CB750K, bad idea??? any thoughts

Be prepared to retune the carbs if you do.

The stock rubber boots work as velocity stacks and the shared airbox helps the balance between carbs. My bike already had a custom airbox when I got it but I don't know where to get them.

Capture.JPG

Bad idea, you will never get it to run perfect unless you spend some money and take it to a place that can dyno tune the bike. Pods were a cheap fix for the old 750's but it doesn't work well at all on the dohc motors. Stick with the stock box.

I was afraid it would have been a bad idea, I will stick with the airbox. Thanks dave and dirtdigger for the heads up. I do love your airbox dave, I wish their was something out their to replace the black plastic one that I have.

Usefie, that'a not my airbox but it is exactly like it. I easily found and image on the net. It might be possible to find one still I just don't know where.

I say go wit pods. The stock air box is restrictive to meet import standards. You do need to jet the carbs though, up 2 jet sizes to start. I sourced carbs from a 91 they don't have any vacuum lines, you have to get hold of some 30 degree silicon tubes for intake runners. But they run great on my DOHC motor

could you post some pics of that set up. I would be interseted in this conversion, did you have to change throttle cables.

I didn't need to change cables, however, my controls came from a shadow steed. But they are standard two cable set up. The stock carbs are 30mm the later year carbs are 34mm jetted up 4 sizes.

I've been told that if you swap on some Mikuni carberators then pods work great. The stock carbs hate them on DOHC. You have to re-jet but it still won't work right.

Ideal...

Mikuni carbs, pods.
Aftermarket exhaust (4 into 2, the 4 into 1 is better for race)
Polish the heads intake (to gain some torque, not ruin your low end like porting would do)
Upgrade ignition (I want to try the HEI upgrade, looks great for the $)

It seems like this is an ongoing debate, comparing pods vs airbox.. im also curious about this as well, I have a 77F with pod filters and it does not run well at all.. some people are saying mikuni's with pods and 4-1 and it will run great, some are saying this motor only runs well with the stock carbs and stock air box... can we get some clarification on this?

It seems like this is an ongoing debate, comparing pods vs airbox.. im also curious about this as well, I have a 77F with pod filters and it does not run well at all.. some people are saying mikuni's with pods and 4-1 and it will run great, some are saying this motor only runs well with the stock carbs and stock air box... can we get some clarification on this?

Pods are an unwise idea for several reasons.

For one, they allow more air through so it's a challenge to dial in a proper fuel/air ratio that'll work across the range. A tad lean is good for very low end---easier starting and more robust take-off---but lean up high and you're shortening the life of your engine, perhaps dramatically.

Plus, they load up and so need to be removed periodically for cleaning---the downside here is that in doing so you generally drive very small debris particles deeper rather than out. When I used them I fabbed foam outer covers. What a pain in the butt that was. Eventually they migrated into the trash.

This isn't to say that they're uniformly bad but only that care must be taken to ensure that you're not trading a marginally neater look for later disaster.

OSC
http://www.oldschoolcarbs.com
"A lie will be halfway around the world before the truth has its shoes on." Mark Twain

Back